Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Check out my blowout: day 7: The New Guys!

Previously:  day 1day 2day 3day 4day 5, day 6

Today's post is a particular fun one for me because of all the cards I have left to show off, these five are all new players to my PCs.  You've seen a couple such players already throughout the previous posts, but I decided to make that today's theme since I hadn't done something like that yet.  So here they are:
Mike Matheny 1996 Leaf Signature Bronze auto:
A Michigan Man will lead a St. Louis team this year thanks to the Cards signing Mike on as their new manager.  A Milwaukee draft pick out of Michigan back in '91, Matheny is a guy for whom I made a concerted effort to pick up a hit for my collection.  For something like $1, COMC obliged, which is a good thing since he has only two other hits:  the Silver and Gold versions of this card.  He becomes the 16th player in my Michigan baseball PC.

Elvis Grbac 1997 Pinnacle Inscriptions auto (#1716/1985):
I have no idea how I went this long without picking up something of Grbac, but I definitely started his collection with a bang.  Elvis kept up Michigan's tradition of churning out quality QBs, and he formed a dynamic combo with Desmond Howard in the latter's Heisman Trophy season.  That makes this an especially fun pickup, as if it wasn't cool enough to get another translucent auto, like this Harbaugh and Biakabutuka.


Jeff Backus 2001 SAGE Bronze auto (#164/600):
I knew I'd get a Backus eventually.  One of Michigan's excellent OL (we have a tradition of producing them too!), he's been an Iron Man for the Lions, even if his play has fallen off a good amount the last couple seasons.  That's why I prefer remembering him as a Wolverine, which makes a card of him in his Michigan uni perfect.


Ronald Bellamy 2003 SAGE Red auto (#556/810):
Bellamy never got a ton of playing time in Ann Arbor, but I do love him for being the inspiration for the awesome blog Ronald Bellamy's Underachieving All-Stars.  Nobody outside of Michigan fans would recognize the name, but he's another player I didn't have and he's pictured in his Wolverines uniform, so why wouldn't I pick up something like this?


Ty Law 2004 Topps Chrome Pro Bowl jersey:
Ty is one of Michigan's good number of excellent DBs (brag about ALL THE POSITIONS!), and like Charles Woodson, he also excelled in the pros.  New England shrewdly drafted him late in the first round in '95.  Though he finished his career with a couple other teams, he's best known as a Patriot as a defensive stalwart for the three-time champs.  Also, the 1994 Michael Westbrook Colorado Hail Mary never happened, so don't bother bringing it up here.  Ty becomes unique football player #69, making me wonder how quickly I can get to 100.

Keep your eyes peeled for more baseball and football, plus a couple new basketball cards due to arrive any day via eBay!

No comments:

Post a Comment