Thursday, March 15, 2012

Check out my blowout: day 2: Be a Player, not a hater

Previously:  day 1

I'm back today with more from my huge COMC purchase.  Back on Monday I showed off the three basketball hits I picked up for myself.  Today, in honor of the highest remaining seed left in the CCHA tournament (and a team that'll hopefully win Friday and Saturday night), we're moving on to a few Michigan hockey pickups from that package.  Notice I said "a few"--I have more for a later date.

It just so happens that all three of today's cards hail from the same set, which made them a perfect choice for one post:

Brendan Morrison 2005-06 Be a Player Signatures auto:
I've made multiple promises to myself to get more stuff of the former Hobey Baker winner, and I finally made some more progress on that front.  I now have two relics and two autos of Morrison, putting him one card behind current hockey leader Marty Turco, so that's progress in and of itself.
This is a pretty cool card for a sticker auto, although it's unfortunate that the autograph area consumes almost half the card.  The rest of the layout and photograph are very sharp, though, and I do like the autograph.  Plus, of course, I really like the way the card goes with the other two you'll see below. 

Mike Comrie 2005-06 Be a Player Signatures auto:
This is my third Comrie (all autographed), which is a nice start to a PC of a player who just retired last month after a solid, if brief, NHL career.  I'm sorry to see him hang 'em up so soon since he was such a force in his short time with Michigan, but I suppose there's worse things than being a young, wealthy retiree married to Hillary Duff, right?


Mike Knuble 2005-06 Be a Player Signatures auto:
Today's other Mike is former Red Wing (among other teams) Knuble.  A prolific four-year scorer at Michigan, he played for Detroit his first two pro seasons and joined them in winning the '97-'98 cup before moving on to the Rangers, then Bruins (as pictured here), Flyers, and finally Capitals.  Up until this season, he'd scored 20+ goals every year since '02-'03, but this year has been quite a downer as his stats are pretty terrible across the board.  Maybe he can find his way back to a team that knows how to use wily veterans as effectively as anyone--say, somewhere close to his old stomping grounds?  Just a thought....

Tune in again soon for more from this ginormous package as I have some hockey left, a good amount of baseball, and tons of football to show off.  This could take a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment