Monday, October 15, 2012

The New Matheny, or, Once, Twice, Three Times a Cardinal

Well, I went and done it:  after picking up the Bronze and Silver versions, I swept the podium and nabbed the gold:

The rarest of the trio, this 1996 Leaf Signature Gold auto of Matheny set me back $13 (after having paid $6 for the silver and $1.50 for the Bronze) and it was totally worth it, because now I can show THIS off on my completed nameplates/rainbows page:
I'm especially proud to have 100% of Matheny's certified autos right now since he's skippered a team with a lot of heart and determination right back into the thick of the playoffs and made them a major threat to repeat.  While I hold out hope for the Tigers, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a Michigan Man lead a team to a championship (as a backup plan!).  Go Mike, and GO BLUE!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know this set came in 3 different colors. You learn something new every day. Thank you, O wise one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir--one part of the series didn't get split up like this (I think it was the "Extended" part, which did have "Century Marks" #d /100) but these each had three versions, and I think in general, the Golds had 500 copies, the Silvers 1000 and the Bronzes 3500. That seems like a ton of copies, but then again, there was an absolute buttload of players with autographs in the set, so getting anyone specific was a needle in a haystack. That's why I'm fairly happy getting the trio for about $20 even though Matheny's obviously not even a semi-star.

      Delete