Monday, March 5, 2018

2017 COMC purchases: basketball and hockey

Welcome to the first of what will likely be five posts in which I finally conclude a look at my 2017 purchases by covering everything I nabbed from COMC late last year.

Today's post covers both basketball and hockey since I didn't pick up much of either (as usual):
Darius Morris 2012-13 Immaculate Collection Printing Plates Yellow (1/1)
Nik Stauskas 2014-15 Spectra Global Icons Printing Plates Yellow (1/1)
Like I said, I really don't chase basketball very much, but how could I pass up this pair of plates for around $11 combined?  The top one is my second 1/1 of Morris, the former Laker who's now playing in China, and it represents my 12th hit of him overall, good enough to break the tie with fellow former Laker (among other teams) Cazzie Russell.

If two plates out of 12 hits seems pretty good, prepare to be impressed by Nik "Sauce Castillo" Stauskas.  The Canadian star (whose plate is definitely far yellower than Morris' above) appears on a 1/1 on four of his six hits in my basketball collection.  That's crazy!  What's just as cool is that I now have double-digit 1/1s in all four sports of my Michigan PCs, and a pretty sweet 97 overall--and this is only my first COMC post in this bunch so who knows what might happen to that number soon!
Shawn Hunwick 2012-13 Panini Prime Dual Jerseys dual jersey (with Dalton Prout) (#011/200)
Shawn Hunwick 2012-13 Panini Prime Prime Time Rookies Jersey Autographs jersey auto (#20/50)
These next two are the first additions to my Shawn Hunwick PC since last October--as I find myself saying too often, his cards can be hard to find at reasonable prices for whatever reason.  Both are from 2012-13 Panini Prime--part of the excellent Rookie Anthology Product--and that's no surprise since Hunwick appears on 15 cards under that title (not including 1/1s).  This pair doubles my count to four of those, and some toughies await including three numbered to five copies and one limited to just three.  I'll take 'em as I find 'em.

I didn't know a thing about Prout so I looked him up and found out that he lasted with Columbus far longer than Shawn did, though he's most recently been associated with New Jersey.  The card he shares with the former Michigan goalie is the only such issue I have in Hunwick's collection so far.

Meanwhile the auto/jersey is far more interesting by virtue of including a signature along with a huge jersey swatch.  Just another example of Panini doing it the right way, I guess!

I now lay claim to 27 of Hunwick's 71 non-1/1s, 30 overall, and 15 hits.
We'll end the day with one more goalie on a flat-out cool card, one you'd be forgiven for mistaking for a Pacific product.  This Marty Turco Hot Gloves insert actually hails from an Upper Deck/McDonald's partnership from 2006-07.  It's die-cut in the shape of a goalie's catcher, and the main characteristic differentiating it from a Pacific-produced card is that it doesn't feature manufactured "netting", or die-cutting in that area at all.  But that doesn't take away from its very cool design, one that's definitely worthy of my favorite goalie's PC.

Come back soon for more COMC goodies as we go on a four post football run!

4 comments:

  1. That Turco Hot Gloves is definitely one of the cooler cards that I've seen in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad at all! There's definitely some cool stuff you could miss if you don't collect hockey, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. The Hot Glove inserts are cool, but I do prefer the original Pacific version. Prout was brought to NJ to add some toughness to the bottom D-pair, but he kept getting passed on the depth chart and got traded for a 3rd-string goalie in a deal that I didn't even hear about until a month later.

    Why is Stauskas called "Sauce Castillo"? I'm assuming there's a story behind that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, the Pacific versions are much cooler, but I was at least glad to find a "knockoff" of Turco that was a reasonable price.

      Thanks for the update on Prout.

      The "Sauce Castillo" nickname started because of a hilariously bad TV closed-captioner: https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/3/26/8296141/sacramento-kings-nik-stauskas-sauce-castillo-photo
      And it just took off from there!

      Delete