Tuesday, October 10, 2017

2017 COMC purchases: Suite hockey cards

Today seems like a good enough day to split my COMC football pickup posts right down the middle and show off some hockey stuff instead.  Hooray, eh?

This time I picked up a trio of cards for my supercollection of mighty mite goaltender Shawn Hunwick, a super fun player to watch in college who appeared in three minutes of a 2011-12 season Blue Jackets game and still managed to show up on more than 70 hockey cards, not including 1/1s!  As a bonus, pretty much every card of him features some combination of his college equipment, which is hilarious since he played for Columbus.

Here's what I landed:
First up is this Gold Rush parallel of Shawn's 2012-13 Score rookie.  Frankly I prefer the 90s baseball versions of this insert as this one manages to go more of the recent Topps parallel route despite actually having borders.  Since I already owned the product's base card I'm just left chasing his Black Ice parallel.

This pair of hits hails from the very cool multi-product 2012-13 Panini Rookie Anthology offering and represents both of Hunwick's non-1/1 entries in the Luxury Suite portion (which is actually listed as a Pacific brand, if you take a close look at the banner in the upper-left of each card).  On your left is his jersey/auto/RC (#35/99) from the Rookie Autographs group while you see the tougher Gold version (#19/25), including a "prime" jersey swatch on the right.  It's definitely a nice pair and I was glad to grab it for less than I was expecting.

Today's trio gives me 25 of Hunwick's 71 regular issues (and 28 cards overall), plus a new count of 13 hockey hits, making me wonder if I should have saved this post for Friday.

Stay tuned for a couple more COMC recap posts with 100% FOOTBAW action!

No comments:

Post a Comment