Thursday, February 22, 2018

2018 trade package #4: My Sports Obsession

The other day I was excited to come home to a surprise PWE from fellow Michigan collector and occasional contributor to this here blog Jeff of My Sports Obsession.  Jeff knows how much I love getting new Wolverines cards, and I couldn't imagine that the White Sox fan (for whatever reason) would spend any money on cards of the far superior Tigers, so I figured it would be something for one of the many collections I show off here, but what?

Once I tore through the envelope I was happy to find the result of Jeff's daily eBay searching (I'm assuming) paid off nicely for me in the form of a new player for my football PC:
The 208th different member of that collection is DL Chris Wormley on an auto/RC from Panini's 2017 Contenders Draft Picks!

Wormley was a four-year Wolverine who appeared in 42 games between 2013 and 2016.  Over those campaigns he piled up 31.5 TFL (including a career-high 14.5 in 2015) and 17.5 sacks, and all that was good enough for him to get selected by the Ravens in the 3rd round of the 2017 draft (a.k.a. the one that was absolutely stacked with his teammates).  He even appeared in seven games for Baltimore last year.

It took me a minute to realize which product I was looking at here since I'm generally more familiar with "regular" Contenders, which includes vets and rookies in their pro uniforms.  Since 2015 Panini has also made the Draft Picks version like you see above, where everybody is pictured with the college where they made their names before the pros.  Naturally that product gets more respect from me (though of course I still very much like the original).

All in all it's a great looking card for the first of what I hope is many hits of Wormley.

Thanks, Jeff!  I have a few things set aside for you and will surely have more by the time the spring game rolls around, so hopefully I'll see you then!

2 comments:

  1. I actually won 3 of that card all within a week. I normally keep dupes of autos but I didn't think you had it and I actually am giving the 3rd one to my brother. Glad you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for including me, then! Sometimes I'm probably pickier about prices than I should be so I hadn't landed this Wormley (or any of the other Contenders guys) yet.

      Delete