Thursday, October 9, 2014

2014 COMC purchases: Dave and Don

After showing off some Steve Boros pickups on Friday I decided to go back to the vintage well today with two more guys:  Dave Campbell and Don Lund.  I introduced both guys in a post a couple months ago, and at that point all I had was Campbell's RC.  Luckily COMC proved to be an excellent source--as always--for adding to my PCs:
Dave Campbell 1970 Topps
As I said, my only previous Campbell card was his '69 Topps RC, but he'd appeared in three seasons for Detroit by then.  The following season he was a member of the Padres by virtue of a trade that brought pitcher Joe Niekro to the Tigers.  Here he is with San Diego on his second-year Topps issue; he wasn't included in that year's OPC set as it didn't include all the Topps high numbers.
Dave Campbell 1971 O-Pee-Chee and Topps
This is the first of three straight pairs of Campbell's OPC/Topps issues I picked up.  Fortunately they were very low numbers (#46) so I didn't have to pay through the nose for expensive high numbers!  The OPC version has a lot of French writing on the back which makes it much easier to distinguish the two.
Dave Campbell 1972 O-Pee-Chee and Topps
Dave's 1972 cards include stats from his 1970-71 campaigns with the Pads, and those were the only two seasons during his career in which he appeared in more than 100 games (154 and 108, respectively).  Don't be shocked, then, that they were his two best seasons.  Once again the OPC version has some French text on the back, plus the very helpful "printed in Canada" notation.
Dave Campbell 1973 O-Pee-Chee and Topps
The Padres are well represented in the Hall of Ugly-Ass Uniforms, and here's one great example courtesy of the 1973 sets.  '73 also turned out to be Dave's final season on the West Coast as he was traded to the Cardinals mid-season.  There's an interesting difference in this pair, by the way:  the cartoon on the back of the Topps' card has text that was drawn while the OPC card clearly used type instead.
Dave Campbell 1974 Topps
St. Louis wasn't Dave's final career stop as just two months after that deal in '73 he was flipped to the Astros for former ROY Tommie Agee, who played the final 26 games of his career with the Cards.  Campbell, meanwhile, got into nine games with the '73 Astros, then 35 more the following season before hanging 'em up.  I don't have the OPC card to go with this Topps version, but that's the last of Dave's run that I don't have!

Make it an exciting 9/10 in Dave's collection with the final piece due to arrive soon! 

Don Lund 1954 Bowman
I'm happy to finally have some cards to show off of Lund, yet ANOTHER Wolverine/Tiger.  While I haven't landed his '53 Topps RC yet--gotta find one that isn't so expensive--I did manage to start things off with this classic '54 Bowman.  It hails from the days of cards being a bit larger than today's standard of 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, and it looks great despite its age.
Don Lund 1954 Topps
Here's the former Michigan football star in his Topps issue from the same year.  I'd take this one over the Bowman since it has more going for it, including that terrifying Tigers logo!  Lund was actually signed as a free agent by Brooklyn in '45, and he was with them until the St. Louis Browns grabbed him off waivers in 1948.  The Tigers purchased him the following year, and he was with them for a few games in '49 and again in '52.  1953 was his best campaign as he appeared in a career-high 131 games, but it was back to normal in '54 with just 35 appearances, and then he retired.
Don Lund 1991 Topps Archives 1953
With two of Lund's three vintage issues secured I went after his modern cards.  First up is this reprint of his '53 RC out of the 1991 Topps Archives set--yep, they made that product that far back!  It's a bit annoying for me that I don't have the actual card to pair it with, yet, but I will as soon as I can.
Don Lund 1994 Topps Archives 1954
Here's another Archives issue from a few years later, and four decades after the original's release.  Obviously I do have the original '54 to go with this one, and the reprint does a pretty good job of capturing the vintage version, but I'd go with the latter and its true cardboard-ness any day!

This was a good start for my Lund collection as I now have four of his eight cards.  Besides the aforementioned RC, I'm lacking a gold parallel of the '94 Archives, then a couple autographs(!) out of 2003 Topps Heritage, and those should be fun to chase.

It was fun having more vintage stuff to show off, but I'll go back to modern cards in my next post to close out this latest purchase.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! And of course a while after I posted this I finished up Campbell's PC.

      Delete