Monday, May 21, 2012

I’m still here

Hi all!  Jeff here.  You might have forgotten who I am since I haven’t posted here in quite awhile.  If you follow me at My Sports Obsession then you know why.  I have gotten a few Michigan cards in trade so I figured I’d get a post up just to say hello again.  This is kind of a slow period for me in Michigan athletics.  I follow the football team (obviously) and the basketball team closely.  But once both of those are over, there isn’t much to follow.  I tried to follow the baseball team, but I just don’t get a chance to watch many games.  There has been a few on the Big Ten Network and I’ve watched those but I don’t like following a sport that I don’t get to watch often.  It’s hard to get into the players by just watching the box scores and following the team on Twitter.  So I’m guessing I won’t be posting here a lot until the fall.  But for now, I have gotten these in trades.
trade-jeremy03
I got this in a trade from Jeremy over at “No One’s Going to Read This Blog”.  He sent me all kinds of stuff for my other collection and you’ll be able to see those coming in the next week or so on my blog.
But I like this card.  One of my favorite, probably the favorite QB that I got to watch in Ann Arbor and have followed through the pros.  Put it this way, I am an Indianapolis Colts fan, but I still root for Tom Brady who is on one of the Colts' major rivals, the Patriots.  I even root for him to have a good game against my Colts, as long as he doesn’t get the win.
I heard when he was at Michigan and they named Drew Henson the starter, that he went to Lloyd Carr and told them they were making a mistake.  And then worked his way as a starter and blossomed from then on.  2 bowl wins, 20-5 record, all Big Ten player, etc.
Then got to the pros and had to start all over, drafted at pick #199.  I won’t get into all that, you all know who he is now.  But he beats the odds and wins.  Like him or not, he wins games.
The next card you’ve seen here before, only in Dennis’ collection.  Well, he got 2 of them and sent one over to me.  You might have trade-dennis03heard of him.  Being as this blog is named after him.
A 2008 Press Pass Authentics Saturday Signature red Auto of super Mario Manningham.
Another guy I’ve gotten to watch from college to pro.  I’ve been a Michigan fan for as long as I can remember but I’ve only starting watching football heavily in the last 10 years or so.  I was really into the basketball team before then.  To be honest, I didn’t watch much pro football back then either.  I didn’t really have anything against football, it just wasn’t my favorite.  Now it’s #2, behind baseball.
Mario made some huge catches for the Wolverines in his day.  Including a huge catch against Penn State to hand them their only loss in 2005.  He had some injury issues later in his Michigan career that seemed to slow him down just a bit.  But he made it to the pros and has built himself a pretty good career including a huge catch along the sidelines leading up to a Super Bowl win.
I don’t know the rarity of the red auto, but I would assume since it has red in the title, that there are others, probably black.  Either way, it’s my 2nd auto of Super Mario.  And I’m super appreciative of Dennis because he keeps sending me cards and I haven’t been able to hold up my end of the trades yet.  Not only did he send this awesome card but he sent me another awesome card, probably the top card on my want list (if I actually had one posted).  But you’ll have to go here to see it.
Thanks again Dennis, you are a gentleman and a scholar.  But most importantly, you’re a Wolverine in every sense of the word.  (I’m kissing ass until I get some cards back to you)

No comments:

Post a Comment