Saturday, May 5, 2018

2018 trade package #7: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

As I mentioned on TMV this evening I was excited to receive an envelope from Doug of Sports Cards From the Dollar Store that's become a yearly tradition: a pre-Expo trade package.  He's the type to load up on stuff for me before the show and send all that my way, then find even more cool stuff for people like me, which he also sends eventually.  Needless to say, I love Expo time, and I don't even go to that show!

That TMV post covered a couple cards that show up on both blogs so those two are repeats here but only add to the bounty I enjoyed.  Check it out:
As with baseball stuff in the other post, the basketball pickings were slim here but the quality sure wasn't lacking.  Quite the opposite, in fact, thanks to this super cool shoe relic of THJ from 2013-14 Panini National Tools of the Trade (at least I think I got that right--it was a bit difficult to catalog).  Hardaway returned to the Knicks this past season and put up career highs in most of the relevant stats, a trend I hope to see continue into next season.  Maybe I'll find more hits of him before then as this is just my second.
The hockey base stuff opens with this scan full of Hockey Mikes and Andrews.  The former includes enforcer-type Brown and former sniper Cammalleri while the latter pairs up Ducks F Cogliano and and young Jet Copp, who's made a bit of noise with three points thus fair in the playoffs.
And here's the rest of the non-hit hockey stuff, proving that Doug's repacks and Champ's case were very kind to my collection.  Hagelin's Pens are locked up with Washington at two games apiece as I'm writing this, and he's put up a pair of goals as his team shoots for three straight cups.  Hunwick is one of two player collections Doug hit in this package.  The Caps handled Johnson's Blue Jackets which is fine by me as he didn't play.  Patch had his worst statistical season, failing to score at least 30 goals for the first time in six years.  And Trouba's also potted a pair for the Michigan-heavy Jets.
Here's Copp again on a card that inducts him into my hockey hits collection, a 2015-16 Upper Deck Contours auto RC (#457/499).  This signature makes him the 53rd different player in that bunch, not to mention a nice start to a collection for another recent young Wolverine alum.  The die-cut design is very cool and I'm glad to see his signature is better than some of the effortless scribbles you see these days.
As I mentioned I featured this card and the next one on TMV because they're both Wings.  Glendening's card is a 2016-17 SP Game Used Stadium Series Fabrics jersey, and the larger red swatch looks great next to the autograph of his I bought from COMC a couple years ago.
Favorite active hockey guy Dylan Larkin is next with his triumphant return on another Champ's card, this time a Rookie Jerseys relic from the 2015-16 UD product.  I'm very grateful to Doug for being a generous source for Larkin's stuff since it isn't easy to find at reasonable prices online, much less around the Detroit area.  And as I said, this will look great paired up with the super tough autograph he pulled from his case!
Lastly, Doug paired up the Holmstrom jersey you saw in the other post with another hit from 2010-11 Zenith:  this Team Logo Die-Cut Jerseys relic of the aforementioned Pacioretty.  Like the Glendening above it stars a bold red jersey swatch, this time cut into the shape of Montreal's logo.  That's a cool hit to add to my collection as the fifth of the former Michigan sniper.

Thanks again for a great pre-Expo package, Doug, and I look forward to seeing what you tracked down this time, both for yourself and for people you trade with (hey, that includes me!).  In the meantime, I'm celebrating my 50th package from you posted on this here blog!  (For real this time, I think.)  Thanks for being the first to reach that crazy number!

No comments:

Post a Comment