Tuesday, April 17, 2018

4/7/18 card show report: hold on to your Butts!

Welcome to a recap of the most recent show I attended, a couple weeks ago in Taylor (a.k.a. the usual spot).  As I did on TMV this evening I want to highlight my largely updated Player Collections Page as I did lots of work to make it (hopefully) easier to look at, plus I added a bunch of new collections:

Baseball:  Brett Adcock, a Michigan alum in the Astros organization.  I don't have anything of him yet though I hope to rectify that soon.

Football:  Jason Avant, Steve Breaston, Brian Griese, Leon Hall, Chris Perry, David Terrell, Anthony Thomas, Amani Toomer.  All of these guys are near the top of my football hits collection plus I already had a bunch of inserts and RCs of each.  After adding in loose base cards and what I had in complete sets each guy is in the range of ~80-100 cards which made them prime candidates for their own albums.  Plus I scored new cards of a few of them at this past show!

Hockey:  Dylan Larkin and Brendan Morrison.  I don't have many of the former but what I do have is worth showing off, plus his album might serve as a good reminder that I collect him and lead to him showing up a bit more in trade packages!  As for Morrison I've been meaning to do an album for him and finally got around to it, likely motivating me to fill it in more as I'm trying to do with fellow hockey guy Marty Turco.

Ok, now on to the new cards:
This scan begins and ends with a pair of rookies of 2017 DTs--Taco Charlton of the Cowboys and Chris Wormley from the Ravens.  Charlton's Donruss Optic is my fourth of his while I now have a pair of Wormleys.

Law's college-themed 1995 Classic Five Sport is the lone base card here.  The set focuses on the four major sports plus auto racing(?) and includes fellow Wolverines Jimmy King, Derrick Alexander, Todd Collins, and Tyrone Wheatley.

There were a few nice inserts in the bunch including parallels of Thomas Rawls on a 2016 Panini Phoenix Adrenaline Rush Orange (#237/299) and retired great LaMarr Woodley on rookie-year 2007 Playoff Prestige Draft Picks Light Blue (#163/999) and Topps Draft Picks and Prospects Chrome Bronze.  College uni cards rule!

The other three guys are all PCs:  Anthony Thomas 2001 Vanguard Prime Prospects Bronze, Amani Toomer 1999 Collector's Edge Masters HoloSilver (#2050/3500), and Charles Woodson 2003 Ultra Gold Medallion.
New PC guy Brian Griese kicks off this group of horizontal inserts with a subtle-for-the-brand 2000 UD Ionix Sunday Best issue.  Thomas and Toomer then make repeat appearances on 2002 Pacific Exclusive Advantage and 2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Red (#072/250) inserts.  Tools of the Trade is one of those sports cards names I've always associated with good things be it an insert like Toomer's or the relic and autographed versions.
The dollar box ended up being kind to my football hits collection with this pair of 2012 Leaf Army All-American Bowl autos, adding two new names to that group.  On the left is LB Royce Jenkins-Stone (one of many recent Wolverine hyphenates!) who had a solid career after arriving as a four-star recruit.  Magnuson, meanwhile, was a slightly higher rated OT who had a pretty good four years in Ann Arbor before being signed as an UDFA with the 49ers; he appeared in a few games last year so we'll see what the future holds for him.  Their additions (plus the next one) give me 212 total members of the football collection.
And here's my other big hit when I flipped through the seller's higher-end box.  Like the Verlander, I thought I'd have to pay a bit of a local premium for this sweet autograph (2017 Panini Unparalleled Rookie Autographs Yellow auto (#063/149)) of recent Wolverine's star Butt, but again I got a very nice bulk price.  So I was stoked to make this colorful signature my first hit of the talented Broncos TE, who's hopefully healthy and ready to contribute this year.
Before I end today's post there's one more card to get to as I'm ending, as is often the case, with hockey.  A quarter certainly wasn't too much to ask for this 2000-01 Topps Premier Plus RC of PC guy Marty Turco.  It features a great photo of the two-time NCAA champ and is somehow just the second rookie of his I've tracked down.

Now that I'm finally caught up on my show pickups it's on to a trade post before a couple focusing on new eBay stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment