Friday, September 22, 2017

9/2/17 card show report: Bo knows

You're here for the Wolverines content from the September show I attended, and that's exactly what I have for you:
I don't get to show off Bo Schembechler cards here too often so this was a fun pickup.  It actually comes from a baseball product, Panini's 2013 Golden Age, and while I'm not a huge fan of non-baseball stuff in baseball products (cough cough A&G and Gypsy Queen cough cough) I'm happy to see Bo land somewhere that might get his name out there to younger generations.  This was an easy quarter pickup for me.
The only $1 I picked up for myself is this 2002 SAGE HIT Autographs Emerald auto of former Michigan WR Marquise Walker.  It's not exactly my favorite design, with a grainy-looking photo that may have been printed on an old HP DeskJet, and a way-too zoomed-in one at that, but I still like that it's a Michigan uni card, and I love any autographs of Wolverines.  As is often the case with SAGE the sticker doesn't scan very well, but I still got my money's worth for my 22nd Walker hit.

And now, the big purchase of the day:
I saw this in the seller's showcase and--

Sorry, just a sec...

::grabs hammer and chisel, uses both::
Aaaahhhhhh, MUCH better!  Sometimes (read:  most of the time) grading is just stupid.  Who gives two rips about an 8.5?

Anyway, I saw this in the seller's showcase and he wanted $30 for it, but better yet when I tacked it on he took $5 off my total purchase to make it an even $50.  So what do we have here?  It's only my first hit (finally) of young Wolverwing star Dylan Larkin!  The ultra-talented forward spent the 2014-15 season with Michigan, then jumped to the Wings when they took him in the first round that year, apparently making the right decision since he's been with the big club both seasons since.

Because of that, I've wanted a nice hit of his for a long time, but had some difficulty since young stars can command high prices.  $30 isn't exactly chump change but the timing was right for this super cool manu-letter patch auto, which is even better since it's the first letter of his nameplate.  Will I try to complete that project?  Maybe.  But I'm very proud to have this one if nothing else.

What's even cooler is that Larkin here is the 50th member of my hockey PC, a milestone I didn't even realize until I went to add him to the spreadsheet.  Great card, nice bonus!

I may hit next month's show, but until then you should get to see some fun COMC pickups before much longer.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Draft Day Marks...and that you cracked it out.

    ReplyDelete