Monday, January 16, 2017

2016 COMC purchases: many (and Mini) inserts

Today I'm featuring a bunch of inserts I picked up on COMC last year, especially around Black Friday.  They're many in number and some are also mini in stature.  Let's have a look!
Let's start with the minis--2009 Topps Magic Minis, to be precise.  I absolutely love this set and its amazing base cards, parallels, inserts, and autographs, and the reason is staring you right in the face:  college unis!  I also enjoy the hand-drawn look and backgrounds used, but the biggest draw for me is seeing all these guys in their college duds, especially Hutchinson, who was almost a decade out of school.

I previously showed off my complete base team set of these guys a couple Decembers ago, plus I think you all know I'm chasing the autographs as well.  As for these Minis, I already had a few handy--Drew Henson, and then this Avant/Breaston/Law trio I found at a show last July.  Today's group of eight, which puts me at 12/15 of these, includes three of my PCs in Hart, Henne, and Manningham, plus other Michigan legends I love to collect like Arrington, Askew, Hall, Hutch, and Woodley.

Who's left for me to get?  Tom Brady, Braylon Edwards, and an apparently short-printed Marlin Jackson.  This will undoubtedly be another fun team set to show off when it's done.
As for the other inserts, let's start alphabetically with this pair of 2012 Topps Golds.  Both happen to be relatively recent Michigan WRs:  Jason Avant (#0819/2012) and Steve Breaston (#0659/2012).  Avant is pictured with the Eagles, the team that drafted him, and he'd play through the 2015 season with the Chiefs.  Meanwhile, speaking of KC, Breaston is shown with his second and final squad and would finish up his career in 2012 after a four-year run with Arizona.
Former #1 jersey-wearer Devin Funchess joins in the WR fun with this shiny 2015 Panini Prizm Draft Picks Team Trademarks insert.  The Refractor-like card features a couple Michigan trademarks:  the big block "M" and iconic winged helmet.  I'd be thrilled to add more Michigan uni inserts of Devin in the future.
My other serial-numbered card today marks DB Leon Hall's second appearance, this time with his original pro team, the Bengals.  Panini's Certified product has featured some beautiful colored parallels in its history such as this Platinum Red (#137/999), though that color would probably be more appropriate for Leon's current employer, the Giants.
Considering his place in Wolverine football history it's definitely a shame that I'm lacking in cards of former Heisman-winner Tom Harmon, a do-it-all kind of guy starred for the varsity squad from 1938-40.  I'll just look at this as a first step in righting that injustice, then.  What you're looking at is actually an insert from a baseball product:  a Fan Craze chase card from 2014 Panini Golden Age.  It's a classy looking card of a classic player (and College Football Hall-of-Famer), and hopefully one of many I'll be showing off this year.
I've already shown a couple Topps Gold inserts so why not finish up with examples of another favorite parallel:  Refractors!  On the left, RB Chris Perry appears on a Red Refractor out of 2005 Bowman Chrome, making it a second-year card for him.  To his right is longtime Giants WR Amani Toomer's 2007 Bowman Chrome Refractor.  Both of these are designs I like very much and made even better with the rainbowification (patent pending) that Refractors provide.

So far my posts have covered football rookies and inserts, but I still have plenty left from COMC, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of the Topps Magic Minis, but I never really cared much for them. Seeing all of those together of a single team/uniform, though, makes me appreciate them much more. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only do the college ones like those since minis tend to get on my nerves, but team sets do look pretty good regardless

      Delete