Wednesday, December 2, 2015

2015 trade package #26: thankful for Wolverines from SCFtDS

As I said on tonight's TMV post, I'm thankful for many things, including the generosity of Doug over at Sports Cards From the Dollar Store, especially since this mark's my 50th trade post between my pair of blogs!  It's been a blast swapping cards with my Canadian neighbor and I can't wait to hit the century mark (which won't take long, knowing Doug!).

All right, here's what you came over here for--the goods:
Baseball, basketball, and football:  there's a lot going on here.  First, the 1991 Michigan Ontiveros is my first non-mainstream card of the former pitcher, and I love that it's from a Michigan-centric set (which I totally need to track down).  

A pair of stars in Burke and C-Webb comprise the basketball portion this time, which is great since I still have very little of the talented Burke.  Doug sent a pair of Tom Brady base cards from this year's Topps, and I'm not surprised he had dupes as he's working on that set.  Also from 2015 is a Valor RC of Funchess, who's come on a bit as of late.  (By the way, I've finally made my Michigan Football rookie project more visible on the sidebar to your right, and that includes the checklist.)  

Last up is a 1971 OPC CFL card of Dave Raimey, an HB/DB who briefly played for the Browns before having a nice run with Winnipeg and Toronto in the CFL.  Leave it to Doug to find another player I didn't know much about and dig up a CFL card of him!
Mitch McGary 2014-15 Totally Certified Jerseys Purple Die Cuts jersey (#82/99)
The basketball hits portion consists of this very cool die-cut jersey relic of big man Mitch McGary, my first of the OK City prospect (and 22nd overall player).  This thick, die-cut card includes a nice Oklahoma City blue swatch and is a great addition to my basketball collection.
Denard Robinson 2015 Panini Spectra Sunday Best Jerseys jersey (#069/199)
While I prefer his Saturday best in terms of uniform, I'm very happy to see Denard play on Sundays with the Jags.  Here's a really nice black swatch from a shiny Panini Spectra relic, which represents what's already my 22nd hit of Shoelace!
As usual the hockey portion dominated the package.  I got a bunch of hockey Mikes, mostly Cammalleri but also a new Comrie, to go along with hockey Andrews Cogliano (Ducks) and Copp (Jets), Copp's teammate Jacob Trouba, and finally Max Pacioretty.  Keep an eye on that Cogliano--it may look familiar in a minute.
If you're down with O-Pee-Chee then you probably know Doug, who scored me a pair of vintage Wolverines here.  Fox, whose card hails from 1982-83, was a four-year defenseman who spent the largest chunk of his NHL career with the Hawks.  Manery, from the 1981-82 set, was a prolific four-year forward in Ann Arbor (111 goals and 97 assists!) appeared with a few different NHL teams over a short career.  Some hockey history to go with the earlier football version, I love it.
Andrew Cogliano 2013-14 Upper Deck Team Canada Autographs auto
And now for the hockey hits.  Didn't I say the Cogliano earlier would look familiar?  UD took the base version, added the word "Signatures" along the left side, and affixed a sticker autograph, and in my opinion that resulted in a very nice card.  With some of the designs UD uses I agree that there's no need to mess with what works.  This is my 10th hit of the current Ducks C and I love how he included his (former Oilers) jersey number
Jack Johnson 2013-14 Panini Titanium Game Worn Gear Dual Memorabilia dual jersey (with Erik Johnson) (#252/300)
Hell yeah, it's JMFJ!  This card features two different Johnson defensemen (no relation), both of which are American, were high draft picks, and played for the USNDTP here in Ann Arbor.  Jack joins Cogliano in the 10-hits club with this card.
David Oliver 1995 Classic Images Autographs auto (#200/1500)
Here's another guy that's new to my collection--the 40th player among my hockey hits, in fact.  Oliver starred at RW in the early 90s for Michigan, potting 97 goals and 98 assists in his four college seasons.  He went on to play for the Oilers, Rangers, Coyotes, Senators, and Stars, as well as teams from several other leagues.  As you can clearly see on this Classic card, he has a beautiful signature.
Mary Turco 2015-16 ITG Used Maximum Memorabilia Silver jersey (#48/50)
Last (and maybe most) is this enormous jersey swatch of blog favorite goalie Marty Turco.  This simply has to be one of the largest relic cards in my collection.  I'd venture to guess that Doug and I are two of the bigger supports of In The Game because they make very cool cards, often of guys that don't get much hobby love.  Hell, I love the fact that they made a Turco card despite the fact that he's been retired since 12.  What a very cool piece, which includes something along the lines of stitching towards the bottom.  Since today has been pretty milestone-heavy I'm happy to announce that this is my 30th hit of Marty, who still leads the hockey collection.

Once again, Doug, I'm thankful for this package and every other envelope you've sent my way.  I'm also looking forward to sending things back to you across the border after this weekend's show and whenever my COMC package arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment