Sunday, November 9, 2014

11/2 card show report: cards for me, cards for you

As noted on tonight's TMV post, last Sunday I hit up a newly-formed show at the Taylor Town Trade Center in Taylor, Michigan, a show that should help fill the void left by the closing of Gibraltar Trade Center.  Most of my single $20 purchase went towards trade bait, but besides the pair of cards you saw on TMV, I scored seven pickups for my PCs over here:
Jim Abbott 1989 Bowman Tiffany and Topps Traded Tiffany
The vast majority of my spending went towards cards in $0.25 and $0.50 boxes, with discounts for buying 25 of the former and 12 of the latter.  I bought 50 of the $0.25s and 12 of the $0.50s after spending probably 45 minutes flipping through the multitude of monster boxes.  What's funny is that I'd skipped over these two on my first run through because I have Jim's base cards from both sets.  But as I was scrambling for a few more to get to each magic number I noticed them again with stickers on the top-loaders that said "Tiffany."  I didn't have those yet!  That's two more of Abbott, and I now have 95 of his cards to my name; time to cross that century mark.

Barry Larkin 1994 Score Gold Stars
Speaking of baseball player collections I did come up with one Larkin card:  this shiny gold insert from 1994 Score.  The back of this card, which hails from a 60-card set, notes Barry's defensive and offensive skills, which sounds about right for the HOFer.  It's my 225th Larkin and I'm posting it the same evening that Chris put up his 308th over on Nachos Grande.

Jake Long 2008 Topps Finest Finest Moments Refractor
I also found a pair of football inserts in that sport's boxes, though the overall selection skewed much more towards base and I didn't feel like putting in much effort.  First up is this Finest Moments Refractor of out-for-the-year Rams T Jake Long from 2008.  His "Finest Moment?"  Performing well for the Captial One Bowl-winning Wolverines on New Year's Day, 2008, which was Michigan's postseason victory until the 2012 Sugar Bowl.  There's a bit of a rainbow for this set I might casually chase, but for now this is a cool Refractor.

Chris Perry 2004 Topps Pristine Uncirculated (#66) (#0440/1099)
Speaking of football inserts, the seller had a shoebox filled with uncirculated-type cards, and I grabbed a few including this one for myself.  I think each player had several versions of varying numbering from this set, and the one I was able to grab was RB Chris Perry.  The background doesn't scan well as it's a very reflective holographic/rainbow sort of thing, but this looks great in-hand and fits well in my football inserts PC.

Jason Avant 2006 Donruss Threads Rookie Class 'A' #1 auto patch RC (#138/150)
My most expensive pickup that day at a crazy low $4 was a surprise find in the form of this Avant manupatch auto.  I look through this guy's cards just about every time and hadn't seen this until last Sunday, which means I was happy I decided to go after all.  I grabbed the "N" from the nameplate a while ago, so now I'm already 40% of the way through another cool project to show off eventually.  If anyone sees the other "A" or the "V" or "T" please let me know!  By the way, this is my 38th Avant hit, good for 8th overall in the football PC.

Brendan Morrison 2003-04 Pacific Private Stock Titanium jersey
Rounding out my spending was this Morrison jersey for $1; hey, who wants to spend a weird amount like $19?  Besides, I did indeed need it, though with all the various Morrison relics I own I couldn't be 100% positive until I checked my album on my phone.  For my 10 seconds of effort I was rewarded with my 22nd hit of Brendan, who's still behind top dog Marty Turco in my hockey PC.  I think I got my buck's worth in this beautiful red swatch from a Canucks jersey on a card that proves single-color isn't always a bad thing.

Having spent a relatively small amount I'm in good position to go nuts for COMC's Black Friday promotions, so watch for new stuff from there next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment