Monday, June 30, 2014

2014 COMC purchase: Rice Rice baby

Hey, I made a rare basketball purchase on COMC!  Check it out:
Glen Rice 2012-13 Fleer Retro 1999-00 Fleer Focus Fresh Ink auto
Rice was one of Michigan's all-time greats, especially during the 1988-89 season, in which he put up 25.6 PPG as a second team All-American and led the Wolverines to their most recent (a.k.a. only) NCAA championship.  The Flint native was named the tourney's Most Outstanding Player, and I'm proud to have a poster version of the Detroit Free Press front page highlighting the victory (with Rice having cut down the net) hanging on my wall to this day.  He then went on to an outstanding NBA career that included being selected #4 overall in 1989 and winning a ring with the 1999-2000 Lakers.

And yet, I somehow made it this long without a hit of him of any type in my basketball PC.  Thankfully I rectified that by picking up this sweet autograph from 2012-13 Fleer Retro.  Although the price was certainly in its favor, I also went with this card because I love the callback to an old Fleer design, the 1999-2000 Focus Fresh Ink set.  Fresh Ink cards were cool to pull in all the sports, and this one ended up looking great, with a college uni picture and an extremely nice signature.  This was easily $2.40 well spent.

On a more milestoney kind of note, this is finally my 25th hit in the Michigan Basketball PC, which isn't bad since that's a sport I'm not really big into.  Rice is also the 11th player to join that collection.

Stay tuned for more COMC pickups soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment