Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Many more Michigan Men part 3: Mike Matheny

Previously:  Part 1 (Chris Sabo), Part 2 (Kelly Dransfeldt, Scott Kamieniecki, Heath Murray, and Geoff Zahn)

A month or two ago I embarked upon a project of scanning all of the cards in my collection of any other Michigan Baseball alumni not already included on my Player Collections page.  That includes anything that arrived via trade, was already in my collection otherwise, or was part of a complete set (or set in-progress).  As you can imagine it took quite a while to get everything done, but about 250+ cards later, I finally have something to show for it!  These posts will show off new player collections or new cards for existing PCs.  Some players will join the group that I supercollect and others will be guys I just pick up whenever I can.  If you have anything I don't and feel like trading, please let me know as I'd love to build up these collections!


Today's new player, #6 overall if you're counting, is former catcher and current Cardinals manager Mike Matheny.  I won't go into too much detail since I did a decently long write-up about Matheny when the Cards hired him late in 2011, but I think a quick recap is in order.

Mike is an Ohio native who spurned the Blue Jays to attend Michigan, then found himself drafted by the Brewers in 1991 (8th round).  He played five seasons for the Brewers, then left as a free agent to join Toronto for a year, St. Louis for five, and San Francisco for his final two seasons.  He earned four Gold Gloves and was part of the Cardinals team that won the 2004 pennant before being swept by the Red Sox.

As catchers often do, he parlayed his excellent career into a managing position and has done very well with a talented team, going 88-74 in 2012 and making it all the way to game 7 of the NLCS as a Wild Card team, pushing the eventual champion Giants to the brink.  This year his 97-65 team won the NL Central, defeated the upstart Pirates in the NLDS, and go into game 4 of the NLCS against the overpaid and overrated Dodgers with a 2-1 lead.  Would yours truly love to see a rematch of the 2006 World Series, a.k.a. a win-win for me?  YOU BET!

Here's my Matheny collection to-date (in addition to this trio of '96 Leaf Signature autos), which is decently large, not to mention growing thanks to a nice justcommons haul you'll see before long:

As I said before, I still have a few more new and existing players to cover, so follow along on my Player Collections page along with my new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment