Tuesday, April 16, 2013

2013 eBay purchases #19, 20, and 21: 42

A trio of eBay pickups hit my mailbox recently, and rather than split them up into separate posts, which would delay me from getting other things posted, you get to see all of them at once!  Better yet, not that I remotely intended for this to happen, the cards' serial numbers add up to a very special number that has significant relevance this time of year:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I will soon, because it looks fantastic and I've been hearing good things.  Jackie Robinson has a loose affiliation with UM as innovative baseball exec Branch Rickey, who played a large role in getting Robinson to the big leagues, received his bachelor's in law and was baseball head coach at Michigan for a bit.

So anyway, that explains the significance of the title, and my bit of a stretch of an attempt to use a post here to commemorate Jackie Robinson Day (which, of course, was yesterday).  Here's what I picked up:

J.J. Putz 2013 Topps Camo (#26/99)
Just another parallel of my pursuit of J.J.'s 2013 Topps rainbow.  I count 13 different versions right now (including Opening Day, but not 1/1s) and I can claim six of them as IHAS.  If you want to see what a 2013 Diamondbacks player rainbow looks like, take a look at Moe's completed project at My 2008 Topps Set Blog. Amazing!  Speaking of IHAS, my new Putz count is 64 (three 1/1s), with LOTS more to come.  For a tad over $2 thanks to eBay bucks, I'm pretty happy.

Chris Getz 2010 Topps Triple Threads Emerald triple jersey auto (#15/50)
I spent a bit under $6 to nab my second version of Getz's 2010 TTT card.  Oddly enough, the original one I picked up was even rarer than this one at just 25 copies.  I actually have a third in-hand but not scanned, which means I'm 60% of the way through that collection.  While I'm mentioning numbers again, this is my 27th IHAS Getz, and eighth hit overall of the KC 2B (all autographed in some form).

Rich Hill 2007 Finest Rookie Finest Moments Autographs Framed Printing Plates Black (1/1)
And here's today's REAL prize!  If you were doing the math you realized this one had to have a serial number starting with "1", right?  Anyway, I generally do a quick check of my Rich Hill eBay Saved Search once or twice a day, and this one snuck in as I think maybe a three-day auction since it appeared suddenly.  I knew I had to have it, as usual, and prepared to throw down a bit of money, up to around $20 shipped since I usually don't like to go higher.  Fortunately for me, $15.50 delivered was enough to add my TENTH Hill 1/1, and 20th 1/1 in my entire PC, meaning Hill represents half of those!.  Of those 10, nine are plates and four feature autographs, which is pretty cool.

For those of you that might find this card sorta familiar, it's the plate version of Hill's Rookie Finest Moments auto card, which I have here, as well as the Refractor version.  It also happens to be my 195th IHAS Hill (including the aforementioned 10 1/1s), putting me tantalizingly close to a major milestone.  I can also claim 82 different hits, more than enough to pace my entire Michigan collection.  And I even have a couple more on the way from eBay very soon!

So let me know what you think of these pickups this week as you celebrate Jackie and all he did to make the game what it is today.  While you're at it, go see 42 and let me know how it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment