Wednesday, November 28, 2012

COMC haul #13: Reds in Maize and Blue

(Note:  all COMC haul posts can be accessed here)

Today's post will be another where a recent eBay pickup piggy-backs onto a COMC haul post because the timing is perfect.  It also happens to be one of two I'm writing that I think will be of particular interest to Chris of Nachos Grande!

Ryan LaMarre is a former UM outfielder who's now toiling in the Cincinnati Reds minor league system.  As he's one of several players I'm PCing, I'm slowly working on compiling his relatively small catalog of cards.  Thanks to this COMC haul and today's mail, I now have three excellent new additions to that collection:
Ryan LaMarre 2010 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Signature Aspirations auto (#033/100)
Ryan LaMarre 2012 Onyx Platinum Prospects Autographs Silver Ink auto (#62/140)
Ryan LaMarre 2012 Onyx Platinum Prospects Game Used batting glove (#17/50)


The 8th, 9th, and 10th LaMarres in my possession give me exactly 20% of his entire run (including 1/1s), and the Donruss EEE card is my 7th of his 14 in that set (with more on the way).  The blue on that card is simply perfect for any Wolverine and makes the die-cut gem look extra fantastic.

Of particular interest here, though, are the two Onyx cards.  The company obviously hasn't been around for very long and isn't MLB- or MiLB-licensed, but I think these cards are pretty sweet all the same.  The Silver Ink auto arrived from eBay this afternoon and looks outstanding (I think silver on black happens to be a pretty good way to go about signing an autograph), and an even nicer touch is the hand-numbering on the back in the very same silver ink.  The relic is actually just as cool since it's some sort of glove--I'm leaning toward the batting variety--and the company promises a nice assortment of relic types beyond the now-played-out bat and jersey.  According to the breakdown on DACardWorld, "A Wide variety of Game Used Cards including but not limited to cleats, batting gloves, hats, catchers gear such as chest protectors and much more!"  That's one way to make a name for yourself, even sans license.

Fortunately I also have a few more LaMarre cards to post during this COMC series, and I'll get to those before long.  However, for a look at some cool stuff of another former Wolverine who played his career with the Reds, please head over to TMV!

No comments:

Post a Comment