Monday, August 6, 2018

7/28/18 show report: maize & blue part 2

The timing's totally right for another show report, though the one I went to most recently was actually a couple weekends ago as to avoid conflicting with the National.  That's right, July was a two-fer!

While I don't have nearly the quantity to show off here compared to what you saw on TMV, here's a few new Wolverines for my fellow enthusiasts:
Of the 12 cards I chose that were a buck apiece this is the only one I got for myself, a "warm-up" relic of Jamal Crawford, a basketball alum who's played a crazy 18 seasons in the NBA.  My sixth hit (all relics) of the PG/SG comes from the 2004-05 Upper Deck Hardcourt Materials set and is the "Combo" version as opposed to the one I already owned which looks like this:
Not terribly exciting but not bad for a buck either.
Football saw the best representation with this sextet.  Leading off the group is a new entry for my Tom Brady PC, a very nice Michigan uni-fied base from this year's Elite Draft Picks product, one I'll get back to in just a second.  Cards with college photos make up less than 5% of his collection so I grab stuff like this whenever I can.

Sticking with the offensive side of the ball (and maybe an offensive design!) is a Devin Funchess 2016 Panini Prizm Prizms Red White and Blue parallel.  The patriotic theme is cool though the sequins(?) in the background are a bit strange.  Whatever--if it's a Michigan card I don't have I'm probably gonna pick it up anyway!

Returning to 2018 Elite Draft is a pair of base cards of underdrafted 2018 DL Mo Hurst, giving me a couple more college uni issues to enjoy.  For some reason neither the "regular" card on the left or the variation on the right is listed as a rookie card on Beckett's OPG (for Hurst or any other player for that matter), but that wasn't going to stop me from picking them up!

Last up from the gridiron is a pair of Panini-branded inserts of Michigan/Central Michigan RB Thomas Rawls.  The first is from 2016 Playoff and is called Boss Hoggs, a callback to some of the Playoff brands of the early-to-mid aughts.  That's joined by another themed insert that's even cooler:  2017 Absolute's Hurdles.  That's a move that while dangerous can result in highlight reel plays like the one pictured of Rawls flying over a Panthers defender.
Last up is a lone hockey addition of young Blue Jackets star Zach Werenski from 2016-17 Upper Deck National Hockey Card Day USA.  The 16-card set includes fellow Wolverines Tyler Motte and Dylan Larkin plus current and retired stars like Jack Eichel and Mike Modano.  I'm pretty sure this set me back just a dime and I'd pay that price for any up-and-coming Michigan Hockey alum.

With these out of the way it's looking like I'll be getting back to my Sportlots haul (or starting it, in the case of this blog) so stay tuned for lots more football and hockey pickups.

No comments:

Post a Comment