Saturday, June 16, 2018

2018 COMC purchases: lucky 7 hockey

Welcome to the first post covering a COMC package I mostly put together during its Spring Cleaning promotion.  I'm still waiting on a second small package most of which comprises cards I neglected to get into the first so opening with these hockey pickups made plenty of sense to me.
Up first is goalie PC guy Shawn Hunwick, my only supercollection from the sport (for now, at least).  I was excited to score three newbies in the form of this fun little trifecta.  #1 is an insert, a Mirror Hot Box parallel (#33/99) from 2012-13 Certified.  This shiny version is my second parallel to go along with the base RC and a cyan plate.  After that is a subset that I'm sure is familiar to my hockey-collecting readers:  Upper Deck's Young Guns.  I believe these are typically short-printed and the better names definitely carry a premium.  It's the second-to-last "base" rookie I needed.

And last is hit #16 of the guy who wore his Michigan gear in Columbus:  a 2012-13 Panini Prime Holosilver quad jersey auto (#15/50).  Shawn has a crazy 15 cards--all hits--in this product and I have five including this beauty that comes with some pretty nice jersey pieces as a bonus to the signature.

This continued my slow march to complete Hunwick's collection with a new count of 30 of his 71 cards and 33 total.
Brendan Morrison and Marty Turco are two players I'll probably always group together in my mind because of the NCAA title they won together in Ann Arbor, so here's the pair in insert form.  In each case I only found one new card for now, but at least they're good ones!  Morrison appears on a 2002-03 Topps Chrome Refractor while Turco gets a parallel of his own, a 2010-11 Certified Mirror Red (#170/250).  The scan came out a bit blurry due to the card bowing a bit so you'll have to take my word for it that it's a good looker.  By the way, it's milestone time as Morrison's card makes 50 in his collection!
Last up is a fun pair of hits.  Lately I've been trying to make more of an effort to get more new guys into my Michigan Hockey hits collection, especially seeking out autographs of players I hadn't found yet.  That list was already fairly small but was lessened even more thanks to these two--or at least would have been if Doug hadn't beat me to it with a nice signature (and relic) of the first player, Tyler Motte, because he's awesome.  Since I had no idea that was coming I found that 2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Signatures card you see above thanks to a pleasing design and reasonable price.

Joining him is Jeff Norton, another guy you see quite frequently on this here blog thanks to Doug turning up his cards in repacks, making him mostly responsible for yet another of my collections!  The defenseman appears here from the 1994-95 version of the Be A Player Autographs set, a product known for its deep roster of inexpensive signatures of lesser known guys.  This card makes Norton the 54th player in my hockey collection.

I'll (try to) be back soon with lots more from COMC, especially when I have everything in-hand, at which point you'll see lots of great cards on both blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment