Thursday, February 8, 2018

2018 trade package #2: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

Death, taxes, and trade packages from Doug at Sports Cards From the Dollar Store--you can set your watch by all of these things, just like Johnny Unitas' haircut:
Related image
As Doug nears a remarkable milestone of 50 trade packages posted on this here blog, I'm happy to show one he sent me in January, making it three straight months with cards from my Canadian friend buddy pal guy.  What it lacked in quantity (and, to Doug's chagrin, surprise), it made up for in quality by a long shot.  I'm talking Ohio State fans acting like human beings long shot.  It's some good stuff.  Check it out:
Basketball begins and ends quickly with the (relatively) old and the new:  a 2004-05 Topps Total base of Fab Fiver Jalen Rose alongside a crazy shiny 2017-18 Totally Certified of D.J. Wilson, a three-year Wolverine who went to Milwaukee in the first round last year.  Believe me, the scan does not do the latter justice.
Football is represented by this trio of Blue parallels from Doug's 2015 Topps Field Access case.  GOAT QB and Super Bowl LII runner-up Tom Brady is joined by that year's pair of Devins, Funchess and Gardner.  I really need to track down their base RCs from this set but can't seem to find them for a reasonable price.
And our last sport, hockey, begins with this appetizer of base cards of Andrew Copp of the Jets and former NHLer David Moss (who I might have mentioned is from my hometown of Livonia, a fairly good producer of icer talent).
Now we'll look at the hits from worst to first, with "worst" being very much a relative term here, like how Batman Begins is the worst of the Nolan trilogy because something has to come in last, but that doesn't mean it can't be awesome.  Case in point:  this 2013-14 Panini Prime quad jersey featuring another young Jets star, Jacob Trouba (joined by former Winnipeg teammate Anthony Peluso who's now with Washington).  I of course like how the swatch windows spell out "J-E-T-S" because it's nice to see a professional team with that nickname not be a dumpster fire.  Anyway, this enjoyable relic #d /200 is my 8th of Trouba, and it's a nice start.
...because how the hell can it compete with THIS?  WolverWings in the house, baby!
Image result for air horn solo gif
When Doug pulled and posted this Dylan Larkin autograph from his 2015-16 Champ's case break my jaw dropped, especially after he explained that it was 1:639 pull, good enough to be a case hit.  Yes, please!  If you wanna know why I keep up the high end dealing with Doug, his decision to send this to me instead of recouping the price of his case is a prime reason.  It's just my second signature of the future Red Wings captain and a beauty at that.

Huh, there's still one more card, how could you possibly top that last one?
Oh cool, a Marty Turco autograph I didn't have, pairing him up with Jack Campbell, a one-time top prospect who I believe almost played for Michigan.  I've heard that Turco was also a bit of an idol of Campbell's, so that's cool.  This one comes from the same 2013-14 Panini Rookie Anthology product as the Trouba above, which you might call a a favourite of Doug's (and mine) and--
Image result for amazed gif
Is that--
Image result for amazed gif
I think it's--
No way!
Image result for success gif
That's totally a 1/1 (#95 overall)!  Ok, so I knew this was coming, but that doesn't make me any less excited for my first 1/1 of my favorite all-time Michigan goalie and top hockey PC guy.  I don't care who you are, that's a potential card of the year right there!

Doug, thanks for the two enormous hockey additions and another exciting monthly package (though don't worry if you can't keep up that pace, I know I can't!).  Fortunately I have the start of a return for you that I'll make sure to fill out so it's worth of this greatness.  You're my buddy, guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment