Tuesday, October 31, 2017

2017 COMC purchases: Werewolverines!

Image result for simpsons cursed frogurt
I'm back with a very scary post featuring football pickups from Check Out My Cadavers!  Settle in for some bad puns, Simpsons-style, because it's Halloween, y'all!
Bladedrian Scareington
Yo, Adrian!  This sticker auto from one of my favorite all-time products, 2008 SP Rookie Threads, is my 50th hit of the former WR, putting him in rare (scare?) company with Chad Henne, Jake Long, Braylon Edwards (whom you'll see shortly), Mike Hart, Mario Manningham, and Chris Perry.  If that group isn't scary enough for you, Robert from $30 a Week Habit just hit the big 5-0 himself.  Happy birthday, specific budget guy!

By the way, double-A is the first of two brand new football PCs debuting today, and in this guy's case I'll be supercollecting him.  You can find his album here and his checklist right here, or just follow along on my player collections page.
Scream Deathstone
I didn't say they'd all be good.  On your left is Breaston's auto/RC from 2007 SP Authentic while a slightly more recent 2011 Triple Threads jersey/auto sits to your right.  The Topps card is my fifth of Steve's from that product--two versions each of cards 2 and 3 in the Unity trio, and one of #1.  This one is the basic version of the second variant, and when all three are put together (though I don't have three of the same parallel), they form a full picture of a field, like-a so:
Pretty cool, no?  That duo (boo-o?) gives me 26 hits of Breaston for you boys and ghouls counting at home.
Slaymen Deadwards
That brings us to my other new football PC, though one that definitely won't turn into a supercollection.  I've got more than 200 Bray-Bray cards posted in his brand new album, and that temporarily puts him in the lead over collection stalwart Chad Henne; let's just say the emphasis is on "temporary" big-time as I've got some COMC loot of him yet, plus a nice bunch from Sportlots.

The one on display today is this jersey relic from 2011 Rookies and Stars Longevity (which, again, has been both a parallel to the regular R&S product and its own product).  It's the Ruby edition (#014/299) and pairs up nicely with the Sapphire variant I already had.

Make it an even 70 hits for the outspoken former #1 WR.
Flaying Scare-us
Clearly I had to reach on some of these but, hey!  A plate!  It's not often that the less heralded guys on the underappreciated side of the ball get some cardboard love so I definitely value what I have here in a plate of tackling machine LB David Harris.  I also happen to appreciate the couple years of Topps Mini since they made it so easy to pull these 1/1s and get them in the hands of collectors like me who don't care about value since we aren't breaking the product.

This rarity is my 26th hit of Harris, tying him with the previously-seen Breaston.  It's also my 88th 1/1, making me realize how close I am to the century mark for the eBay favorite!

Graveyard Robberson
While I don't enjoy the fact that Denard is out of the league (and would love to see him get another chance), it sure does make his cards cheaper as I got this pair for next to nothing.  The first is a 2013 Bowman Sterling jersey/auto and my third entrant from that product.  Meanwhile, the other is also from a rookie-year Topps product:  his Chrome Rookie autograph (#528/600).  Those just about always tend to look nice so I was glad to land it after a moderate wait.  Shoelace jumps up to a new total of 32 hits.
Fantasy Zombies
Lastly we have one half of what would be a totally badass two-headed monster if we paired him with former teammate David Terrell.  I grabbed these two hits of A-Train in separate shipments and came out with a nice relic/autograph pairing.  The former is a jersey swatch from the forgettable 2001 UD Graded product, and that comes in a shape that I guess is suppose to be a "G"?  As usual the latter is more my speed, an autograph, this one also from a fairly forgettable Topps product called Reserve.  Fortunately, Thomas' signature is quite memorable, even if it's a tad faded on the sticker there.

This pair jumps Anthony into eighth place in my football collection with 48, one spot below the 50-even pairing of Arrington and Perry (scary!) I previously mentioned.

Stay tuned for one more COMC football post that's all PC guys.  Between now and then, I hope you all get your fill of candy, Hocus Pocus, and bad Halloween puns!

No comments:

Post a Comment