Wednesday, September 27, 2017

2017 COMC purchases: Rookie Blue beats Purdue

Sticking with the 2017 script, Michigan found itself in a dogfight at the half, then took over in the final two quarters to win by a decent margin last Saturday.  Let's celebrate with the first of a few COMC pickup posts, this one covering some more additions to my football RC collection, a.k.a. Rookie Blue:

What does Alan Branch do, kids?
ALAN BRANCH KILLS QBs!  The fearsome DL makes another impactful appearance here with this solid first-year from 2007 Donruss Classics (#1225/1499), giving me 20 of his 26.
One of the 2008 draftees I'm not as interested in due to his short career (all of six games in 2010), here's LB Shawn Crable on rookie #18/19 from 2008 Leaf Rookies and Stars Longevity (#228/999), a base set that shouldn't be confused with the Longevity parallel from the regular Rookies and Stars product.  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old Braylon is our first of four Michigan uni cards, and this one hails from 2005 Upper Deck Rookie Debut.  It's my 15th of his 23 rookies from that year and just the third in which he's sporting the maize and blue.
Another college card in the pile was this 1998 Playoff Prestige Hobby base of '97 National Champ RB Chris Floyd.  This shiny rookie is my sixth out of nine of the third leading rusher of that squad.
Funch is #2 on this year's Panthers in targets, receptions, and yards, but remains scoreless on a team that's caught just two TDs in three games.  In a relatively rare occurrence, I like the Panini card (Rookies and Stars) less than the Topps offering (Heritage) in a pair that gives me 18 of his 24 RCs from 2015.
Defense, the key to Michigan's 2017 success to-date, gets another shout out thanks to LB Ian Gold on this shiny 2000 Leaf Certified rookie (#1896/2000) that certainly befits his name.  Make it six of nine of the former Bronco who shares a rookie year with Tom Brady's super expensive offerings.
It's a shiny numbered rookie party, and QB-turned-3B-turned-QB Drew Henson came in his Sunday best on this 2004 Leaf Certified Materials RC (#0109/1000).  Certified had a tendency to offer some fun designs like the one on this, my 15th of 37 (jeez, 37?!) Henson first-years.
We'll take a quick break from numbered cards, and as it happens, those that are vertically-oriented, with this 2004 Upper Deck offering of stud RB Chris Perry that shows you exactly how cell phone videos should be filmed.  The Rookie Premiere-themed card is my 19th of Perry's 30 from his rookie year.
The fact that Denard is out of the league at the moment makes even a rarer RC like this one from 2013 Topps Supreme (#130/170), the lowest numbered one I own so far, reasonably cheap.  I do have a Spectra version (/99) still to chase of our second of three QBs in today's post, of whom I now own 23/27 rookies.
And here's our final QB:  Iowa castoff-turned Michigan QB-turned Lions draftee Jake Rudock from the excellent 2016 Donruss Optic product, which combines the pleasing Donruss design with a Chrome look.  It's #3 in my chase of his eight RCs.
I don't know that I'd call myself a fan of every Score football design, but I do like this one as it combines a nice design (even if it's green!) with a college photo.  Former Niners/Lions WR Tai Streets has nine 1999 rookies, and this Score example gives me eight.

Anthony Thomas is the beneficiary of our final college uni card of the post, the retail version of 2001 Pacific Invincible; his hobby version includes a jersey swatch and is therefore exempt from this project.  The very Pacific shiny base card with a translucent inset cel is my 19th of Thomas's crazy 50 rookies.

The oldest card you'll see in today's post, from 21 years ago(!) is this 1996 SP offering of Super Bowl-winning Giants WR Amani Toomer.  The card features one of my favorite SP designs, and it leaves me just one shy of his 22 RC run.

College and pro defensive star LaMarr Woodley was the biggest winner this time as the only player for whom I landed three cards (all numbered!), all from 2007:  Donruss Threads Retail Rookies (#605/999), Leaf Rookies and Stars (#850/999), and Topps TX Exclusive (#0849/1049).  Nothing here appeals to me as much as anything from any of the other players today, but knocking off three numbered RCs and giving me 16 of Woodley's 26 was a nice little accomplishment.

That's it for football RCs but I have a few more football-related posts, plus a hockey one for some variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment