Thursday, June 15, 2017

Too Many Plates! Part 2: basketball

Between May and June I won eBay auctions for a total of 17 different printing plates at a cost of a bit more than $100 (not bad!).  14 of those came from one awesome seller (markaguirre22), whom I can't recommend highly enough due to his great prices, excellent communication, and super fast free shipping.  A fellow Michigan collector, he was unloading some of his better stuff, and I was able to take advantage of quite a few great deals.  Better yet, over the course of my purchases he threw in three extra plates for free, giving me a nice round 20 to show off.  Several separate purchases rounded out the run on rarity.

All of the players are Michigan alumni that I collect, so you'll see most of them in three separate posts on here, one per sport, including this evening's post covering the basketball pickups (in addition to the baseball guys over on TMV tonight).  That's right, I said basketball!
Darius Morris 2012-13 Panini National Treasures Printing Plates Black (1/1)
Today's pair came from the same aforementioned seller, just a few weeks apart.  Number one is erstwhile Laker (among four other NBA teams) Darius Morris on a five-ish-year-old plate from Panini's high-end National Treasures product.  Although it's my 11th hit of Morris (tying him with Cazzie Russell for the basketball PC lead), I don't actually have a copy of the auto it goes with, but that may just turn up someday.  Considering I like to keep my plate purchases under $10 in general (and probably less for my least favorite of the four sports), a bit under $4 was a fair ransom for this one, I think.
Nik Stauskas 2014-15 Panini Spectra Global Icons Printing Plates Black (1/1)
You know how I can tell I don't pay much attention to my basketball collection?  This is my third hit of Stauskas, a.k.a. "Sauce Castillo", and all three are plates!
Here he is on his other solo venture plus a trio (ignore player #4), both of which also come from a 2014-15 Panini product: Immaculate.

I couldn't tell you exactly why I got into a mini bidding war for this 1/1 of the former first-rounder of the Kings, now with Philly--he's not exactly a star or from a sport I love--but I still threw down a bit over $7 anyway.  I mean, it fit into my plate price preference (say that three times fast) and I was happy to continue giving business to a quality eBayer, so there's that.

This pair plus the two you saw on TMV this evening give me a new printing plate/1-of-1 total of 71 with lots more to come!  Make sure to stay tuned for the forthcoming football and hockey plate posts if you like that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment