Monday, May 15, 2017

2017 trade package #6: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

As I mentioned this evening on TMV, I went a bit more than two weeks without posting mainly for positive reasons, but I'm trying to put in some effort to give some great trade partners credit for sending me some fun stuff.

As usual, one of those folks is Doug from Sports Cards From the Dollar Store.  You may recall him from the more than 40 previous trade posts on this here blog alone (and more than 20 on TMV!).  I don't think I've even sent him stuff since the last time I posted cards from him back in February yet he fired another envelope over the border.  Here's what came my way this time:
Fun fact--Trey's actual first name is "Alfonso"--I didn't know that!  I mean, I knew "Trey" was a nickname, but never thought to find out what for.  Anyway, Doug sent my my very first signature of the former NCAA Player of the Year, #9 overall pick, and heralded NBA rookie in the form of this 2014-15 Panini Prizm Autographs Prizms Purple Pulsar auto, numbered #01/49.  It's a super cool signature of one of the biggest college stars to come out of Michigan, just my second Burke hit overall, and 70th card on my basketball collection, which isn't nearly as minuscule as it used to be.  Nice start!
One of two football entrants this time was this '90 Fleer base of Mike Kenn, an OL who played all 251 games of his excellent 17-year career with Atlanta.  I think he's still eligible for the Hall of Fame so I hope he eventually makes it in.
The remainder of the football content is this big-ass jersey (numbered 21/99) of former #1 WR Devin Funchess.  If ever there was a card that evokes "bunches of Funchess" then this is it.  Playing off the Clear Vision product name, the swatch area is covered by a clear plastic/acetate/whatever piece that includes the inset photo, giving the whole thing a shadowbox kind of feel.  The border colors really work well with the Carolina uniform too.  It's definitely a cool piece and a winner of a relic given how stale those have gotten.  Welcome to the collection, Funchess hit #5!
And of course, the hockey content.  I mean, these came from a Canadian, so why not include a pair of Canadiens?  One of those is a hockey Mike, in this case current New Jersey Devil Cammalleri.  The other, Max Pacioretty, just finished his ninth season with the Habs and put up 30 goals for the fourth straight season and fifth time overall.  Those two bookend cards of Jack Johnson (still with the pictured Blue Jackets) and the awesomely-named Jed Ortmeyer, pictured in his one season with the Sharks.
Last up is my favorite card of the package--yep, even with the cool autograph and giant relic present--this 1998-99 McDonald's Upper Deck issue of blog favorite Brendan Morrison.  And why shouldn't my favorite in this Canuck-sourced envelope be a card that was only available through Canadian McDonald's?  The design is fantastic, and while part of the card doesn't scan as well as it looks, the clear see-through photo--framed inside of a puck, nice touch!--really pops.  Cards like this one make me want to put more effort into my Morrison collection until I get enough to scan and show everything off.

Thanks again for another envelope full of Wolverine wonders, Doug!  I'm looking forward to returning the favor very soon.

1 comment:

  1. The Funchess and Morrison cards are definitely good ones.

    ReplyDelete