Friday, July 18, 2014

2014 trade package #13: This SCFtDS trade post is brought to you by the letter "J" eh?

Oh look, it's July 18, and what better day to post my 18th(!) trade package from Doug of Sports Cards From the Dollar Store?  My Canadian neighbor across the Detroit River sent me another sizzling envelope full of Michigan stuff (no one does it better!), plus a couple cards you can check out over on TMV this evening:
Leading off is this fun promotional card from Panini's USA baseball set (I'm guessing 2013) that includes blog favorite Jim Abbott.  Zych, by the way, is a Cubs pitching prospect, and completes the "A to Z" pun here.  It's a fun item to add to my Abbott stuff for sure.
Chris Sabo 1990 Topps Stickers
Slightly less oddball is this Chris Sabo sticker from a set Topps produced in 1990.  Sabo was very well known as an up-an-comer then, having won the '88 NL Rookie of the Year.  I've happily added it as the 46th item in my Sabo PC!
Next up is a pair for my basketball collection.  The THJ comes courtesy of a group break in which Doug participated that included some Father's Day packs.  Check out his big prize from that break!  Riley, seen dunking here on Iowa, was a 1993 second-rounder who played five seasons with five different teams.

In the football base department is this five pack of Wolverines, including well-known pros Brady, Griese, and Jones.  The Lewan is a first for me, and is his (heavily airbrushed) 2014 Bowman RC.  I haven't decided if I want to collect him as his assault case from a 2013 incident with an Ohio State fan is pending.  Meanwhile, the Action Packed (ACTION PACKED!) Wheatley is also a RC, and it's close enough for me to label it as a Michigan uni card despite the airbrushing.  Both of those are headed to the Michigan Football RC album.

Chris Perry 2004 SPx Rookie Swatch Supremacy dual jersey
Doug sent over my 36th hit of former star RB Chris Perry in the form of this dual-swatch jersey from 2004 SPx.  It's black and orange.  The jerseys are orange.  Cincy's colors are black and orange.  We have achieved 100% swatch/design synchronicity!
Amani Toomer 2006 Playoff Prestige Prestigious Pros Jerseys Bronze jersey (#037/174)
Along with the Perry came a jersey of Amani "It's Not a" Toomer.  My 11th of the Giants WR stalwart, this one comes with a beautiful blue swatch and numbering out of 174.  Why 174?  That's the number of chicken wings he ate during the 2005 season (I may or may not have made that up).  These are two nice additions to my football PC.

Well of COURSE there had to be hockey in this package, and of course I saved it for last since, as is often the case, it was the BEST, as you'll see in a second.  Cogliano and Hagelin were never teammates because the former bolted for the NHL after his sophomore season a year before the latter headed to Ann Arbor, and that's a shame because they would have flat out dominated things!
Jacob Trouba 2013-14 Crown Royale Heirs to the Throne Materials jersey
Hockey hit #1 is a gorgeous blue Winnipeg Jets (they're back!) swatch representing young star Jacob Trouba, who sadly played just one season with the Wolverines before jumping to the Jets in 2013-14, although he looked ready as he tallied 10 goals and 19 assists in 65 games.  Trouba is new to my collection and I'm thrilled to start with something this nice.
Jon Merrill 2013-14 Panini Rookie Anthology Rookie Prime Autographs dual patch auto (#09/50)
I really did save the best for last here.  I've expressed my fandom of Panini's Rookie Anthology product before, and cards like this certainly help its cause.  I usually prefer autographs over relics, but the beautiful (and very thick) patches clearly take center stage in this prime version of my first Merrill in my hockey collection (up to 35 players!).  A 2D picture just can't give you an idea of how great those patches are, it really can't, so I hope you guys get to see one of these of a player you collect!  Merrill, by the way, was a three-year defenseman for the Maize and Blue, and he made it up with the Devils in 2013-14, potting two goals (both game-winners!) and nine assists in 52 games.  Hopefully those numbers grow next season.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased once again with my haul, Doug, and I look forward to doing it again soon!  Fellow hockey fans and those who enjoy the many fine qualities of maple syrup should head across the Detroit River and up the 401 to Sports Cards From the Dollar Store now!

No comments:

Post a Comment