Saturday, April 27, 2013

2013 COMC pickups #5: Too many Putzs part 1

By a wide margin, J.J. Putz was the largest member of my pair of COMC packages earlier this year.  That may surprise some of you who know my #1 guy is Rich Hill, but two factors were in play here:  I already have a ton of Hills which means it's hard to find new ones, plus Putz actually has a huge catalog of cards in his portfolio.  My most up-to-date count comes to 303, not including 1/1s, and that actually makes sense since he's a legitimate inclusion in most sets as a prominent closer with a history of success.

Because I nabbed so new J.J. cards, I didn't want to drag things out as much as last time, so here's a group of 25 to get things started!:
J.J. Putz 2008 Upper Deck Documentary #s 249, 549, 849, 1149, 1449, 1749, 2049, 2349, 2649
J.J. Putz 2008 Upper Deck Documentary #2649, Gold #s 249, 849, 1449, 1749, 2949
I've said my piece on the goofiness of Documentary, so presented with few comments are these 15 cards.  I managed to grab all 10 of his base cards (remember, they're always 300 numbers apart) and half of his Gold parallels.  As is now custom, I'm not showing them off individually here, but they're all available in the album if you're a masochist.

J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Allen and Ginter
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini A and G Back
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini Black
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini
J.J. Putz 2008 Topps Allen and Ginter
J.J. Putz 2008 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini A and G Back
J.J. Putz 2008 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini
J.J. Putz 2012 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini A and G Back
J.J. Putz 2012 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini Black
J.J. Putz 2012 Topps Allen and Ginter Mini Gold Border
Today's other 10 cards are from three different A&G sets.  I've also said a good portion about them as a few of my other player collections include some of these sets, but in general I'm pretty neutral about these, other than there being way too many mini varieties.  I do think the A&G Backs and the Black Borders are pretty nice, but for example, the 2012 border varieties (not a solid color) are boring and overkill in my opinion.  And for some reason I prefer the 2007 and 2008 designs, which look quite nice.

So there's 25 new cards for J.J.'s collection, bringing him up to a new IHAS count of 86 (plus three 1/1s).  With plenty more to come from COMC, plus lots more for me to acquire, plan on seeing J.J.'s mug a lot more on this here blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment