Wednesday, February 13, 2013

2013 trade package #3: "a.k.a. the Big Kahuna"

Another outstanding trade package graced my mailbox this afternoon, and in the collecting world, is there a better feeling than coming home from a long day at work to see a big-ass bubble envelope sticking out and read to be ripped open?  I'd take it over ripping packs any day at this point, that's for sure.

So this one comes from the other side of Lake Erie--Pennsylvania, to be exact.  Tim from Enough Already was already on my good side after nearly bludgeoning my 2009 Topps baseball wantlist to death, then one-upped himself a few weeks ago by asking me what I needed from a crazy nice stack of Wolverines.  I took a long time to respond as I wasn't even sure what I could offer him in return, until I did my spree on the COMC haul.  I'm happy to report that I did send a package his way that I think is going to make his day, but that remains to be seen.

For me, the best part of the package (besides the cards) was what Tim wrote on the interior envelope:  "Thanks again, Dennis.  --Tim (a.k.a. the Big Kahuna)."  Where else but in the nickname-friendly world of blogging/trading could you pull that off?

Anyway, here's the four cards he sent me that I did need:
Tim Jamison 2009 SAGE HIT auto
This is just my second Jamison auto, but I like it a lot--as much as the other I own.  This is simply another one of those SAGE designs I like:  great college photo, non-obnoxious sticker, lots of blue.  Looks to me like Tim's about to make a Purdue OL have a really bad day!
Mario Manningham 2008 Bowman Chrome auto RC
Mario Manningham 2008 Finest auto RC
This pair of Super Mario auto/RCs was a super score for sure.  I know I'd been after both forever, and I still can't believe I didn't have either, but I didn't.  Big Kahuna to the rescue again, with not one but BOTH!  I like the designs on each--of course I tend to love most of the '08 stuff thanks to that being my favorite draft class--but I think I prefer the BowChro over the Finest.  Not by that much, though, and you really can't go wrong with these!  These new additions jump the should-have-been Super Bowl XLVI MVP to 37 cards, tying Adrian Arrington for 5th in the football PC. 

Leon Hall-Ty Law-Charles Woodson 2007 Topps Triple Threads Relic Combos Emerald triple jersey (#06/18)
And here you'll see that I saved for last what I considered to be the best of the package by a wide margin.  When Tim sent me this with the other scans, I couldn't believe my eyes--what a GREAT combination of some of Michigan's best CBs from the last 25 years.  It's rare for Topps to recognize college teams like this, so the "UM" and sort-of Michigan logo are amazing (even if Woodson's "M" is a color any Wolverine fan would cringe at!).  Really this is the kind of thing Triple Threads should be doing instead of some of their less interesting combos.  Regardless, they got it right this year, and all three swatches look fantastic.
This represents my 28th hit of Hall (and first non-auto!); second Ty Law (also a relic); and fifth Woodson, which isn't bad considering how crazy his prices can get.

This was just an amazing haul despite the fact that it's "only" four cards--four awesome PC-worth cards--and exactly the kind of trade I love to make.  And even better, I've actually already sent out my end, so I'm not in debt to yet another trader!

Thanks again, Kahuna, for making my day with some superlative cards.  I hope you enjoy yours just as much!  Tim's got a very healthy group of followers, but if you're not already reading him, go check out Enough Already! and set aside your Blue Jays, Mets, NY Rangers and Giants, Adam Linds, Frank Thomases, and more, and get yourself set for an excellent trade experience.

Mmmm MMM!  That IS a tasty burger!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to be of service. Love the Julz reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a bad ass card, even though they aren't Michigan uniforms, I don't think I could turn that one away from my collection either. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even more fun for me because I honestly didn't know that it existed! Big ups to Kahuna for finding it AND sending it to me!

      Delete