Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This post is brought to you by the letter "J" and the number 1

For something slightly different today, I'm doing a post that combines a few recent pickups that WEREN'T from COMC into one write-up.  A couple of these have been sitting on my desk for a few days and I feel like I won't be able to move forward with other posts (including the COMC stuff, actually) until I get these scanned, posted, and put away.  So here's some new stuff!:
Jake Fox 2009 Topps Silk Collection (#01/50)
This new Fox, my 9th, came as part of a nice Topps Silk twofer on eBay.  The other card is heading to a blogger I think you all know very well, so hopefully you'll see it not long after I actually get around to mailing that package.  As usual, I think these Silk cards are very cool, and even cooler is the fact that I'm exactly halfway to Jake's 18 non-1/1s that I know of, so I've got that going for me too.  Bonus points for being #01/50!
J.J. Putz 2005 Donruss Signature INKcredible Combos (with Nageotte)
Just my second auto of J.J., this card pairs him up with former Mariners prospect Clint Nageotte, who only won one Major League game during his cup of coffee in the bigs despite some people being pretty high on him.  While the misuse of all that space is a little off-putting, I do like Panini's cool holographic stickers and the way they embed them into their cards.  A nice price on eBay made this one easy on the eyes AND wallet.
Chad Henne 2008 SP Rookie Threads Signature Draft Choice auto (#131/210)
46 isn't quite a milestone number, but this card brings me that much closer to 50 of one of my favorite Michigan QBs.  I've been after this one for a while because for some reason I just really dig the design, especially the look of the auto window area.  This Arrington from the same year has a similar thing going on, and for some reason, in both cases the combination of photo, color scheme, layout and autograph window mesh to form an outstanding card.  I nabbed this on the Blowout Forum for a nice price when I combined it with another card that'll also be heading to our aforementioned blogger as soon as I can get down to the PO without freezing my balls off.

After spending a good chunk of money--especially thanks to COMC--between June and October, it's nice to be able to say that I've drastically cut my monthly spending this month, but I've still ended up with great stuff like this.  But speaking of COMC, watch for more of that stuff soon, here and on TMV!

No comments:

Post a Comment