Saturday, October 6, 2018

2018 Michigan gameday #6: vs. Maryland

Related image
Don't look now but it's homecoming in Ann Arbor!  I'll be staying home, in a manner of speaking, but coming to the home of Michigan Football as I attend my first game in-person since Jeff and I went in September of 2012.  I'd link you back to that post but all of the image links are broken, so, meh.  Anyway, speaking of Jeff, he's the reason I get to go this time as he generously offered me a ticket.  Thanks for letting me be your homecoming date, Jeff!
So, as we learned last Saturday, be careful what you wish for!  I requested "anything but" a repeat of the infamous "M00N" game and that was granted in the form of a nail-biter that I thought might kill me (followed by Penn State just about finishing me off thanks to the way they blew it against OSU).  Kind of more of the same thing we've seen all year--a slow start, a few small mistakes that add up (compounded by some big ones), penalties, and bad luck, but also occasional flashes of competence and even brilliance.  All that and one of the worst penalty calls you'll ever see:
In the end Michigan won and I had better things to do than criticize a bunch of college kids for what they did or didn't do.

Now the #15 Wolverines (4-1) have a bounceback opportunity with today's noon matchup with Maryland (3-1), a program embroiled in controversy because of a toxic environment under head coach and former Michigan DC D.J. Durkin, one that ultimately led to the completely unnecessary death of a player.  Hopefully those responsible will get appropriate punishment, though that would be small comfort to Jordan McNair's family.

On the field the Terps opened up their season with a win over Texas for the second straight year, then gave Temple their first win in three tries.  College football:  who knows?  Meanwhile the Wolverines look mortal but also showed lots of resolve in coming back from a 17-point deficit.  The run game got going, Shea Patterson warmed up a bit, and the defense put up another big second half.

For this game I'm predicting a Michigan victory that's not nearly as dramatic as last week's, though I do see Maryland's offense giving the Wolverines' D some fits before that unit locks things down.  Regardless I'm looking forward to my homecoming to the Big House no matter the weather (rain is certainly in the forecast).  Hopefully it'll also be a great day for the many alumni coming back for the festivities.  There's no place like home!


LET'S GO BLUE

2 comments:

  1. Had a good time, a win and it came at rain and shine today. Thanks for being my date, and for the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, and I hope your brother had a blast this past Saturday!

      Delete