Monday, May 13, 2019

2018 COMC purchases: QB Club

It's been far too long since I posted here, and it's only thanks to Jeff that anything got put up in April.  But I still have some 2018 COMC pickups to show off before I can move on to some other stuff, so here we go!

Today is all about the QBs with three of the most notable field generals in Michigan history:
Up first is national champ Brian Griese on a nice mix of inserts and hits.  The Collector's Edge offering combines acetate plus some yellow and blue (more like purple, I guess) making for a fun insert.  The other three are numbered:  the same year's Leaf Rookies and Stars Ticket Masters (with former star RB Terrell Davis), a Player's Private Issue parallel from 2000 Topps Gallery (#227/250), and finally a die-cut 2001 Pacific Dynagon Big Numbers insert that highlights his jersey.

The hits portion is also solid thanks to jersey swatches from 2001 SP Game Used Edition and '05 Rookies & Stars, the latter a Ruby parallel numbered 093/199.  These cool additions give Griese 192 total cards (almost milestone time!) and exactly 20 hits (actual milestone time!).
Coach Jim Harbaugh is up next with a pair of this post's most interesting pickups bookending some other fun adds.  Insert number one of four is from 1996 Select Certified and is called "Thumbs Up".  See that pattern in the background?  The back (which I've included here) helpfully explains that what you're seeing is a reproduction of his thumb print.  What they didn't do in the 90s!  The other vertical card is a 1997 Topps Gallery insert called Critics Choice.  It features a great shot of a determined competitor, plus I just love Gallery in general.

Going horizontal we have Jim's 1996 Skybox SkyMotion base, which was a fun alternative to Sportflix.  I'm not sure if I can spot Harbaugh on this card but the cheerleaders sure do stand out!  And speaking of horn dogs, sloppy drunk jackass Joe Namath got his name on a '96 Topps insert called Broadway's Reviews where he opined on a number of stars at the position.

And lastly we have one of my favorite cards in the whole order, a 1997 Pinnacle Inscriptions auto (#1590/1975).  These acetate cards are fantastic and it sure doesn't hurt that Harbaugh has a very nice signature.  I don't think he has many certified autographs from his playing days so I was thrilled to make this my second (the other is from '96 Laserview Inscriptions) of the Michigan legend.

Adding these gives me 137 cards of the coach, two of which (the ones I already mentioned) are autographed.
Last up today is one of the most electric players from the sport, Denard Robinson.  Shoelace came up twice in my shopping cart courtesy of this 2013 Topps Triple Threads pair.  He had a couple variations of his Rookie Autograph Relics jersey/auto and I scored the base of the first (#06/99) and Emerald parallel of the second (#047/50).

Denard joins Griese in nearing a milestone with 98 cards to his name in my PC, and a crazy 41 of those are in the hits collection!

That's all for today but hopefully soon I'll finish up this series with what looks to be three more posts.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. All of your 90's cards here are new to me. I absolutely love that Critic's Choice, now I'm gonna have to go see who else was on that checklist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking! Gallery made for some beautiful base cards so the inserts started on a good foot. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees a nice insert and says "I wonder if any of my guys were in it?"

      Delete