Saturday, December 17, 2016

12/3/2016 show report: serial-numbered WINserts

If you're reading this there's a pretty good chance you headed over from today's TMV post where I described my most recent card show excursion, the most productive one I've had in months!  Assuming you read that post, you saw a few pickups of Barry Larkin and Michael O'Neill, Michigan Baseball PC guys who I'm showing off over there since I decided to post all my baseball stuff in one spot to try to keep things more Michigan-specific over here.

Among the quarter and $0.50 boxes from that seller I did manage to track down six Wolverine cards hitting the three remaining sports.  Of the six, five are serial-numbered, which wasn't an intentional theme as I'll take what I can get of any of these players, but was purposeful in the sense that I love numbered cards.

Here's a look at what I grabbed:
Representing basketball is this '98-'99 Bowman's Best Refractor, a parallel of Robert "Tractor" Traylor's RC, numbered 190/400 (with that old school, bold gold numbering!).  Traylor's story, from his role that led to sanctions to Michigan, plus his early death, is sad, but it's still fun to remember just how good he was in college.  Refractors rule.
It's no big surprise that football leads the way again.  Speaking of Refractor-related parallels, first up is Leon Hall's XFractor from 2007 Bowman Chrome (#097/250).  This parallel of his RC from that set is my third from the rainbow, joining up with the base card and plain old Refractor.

Next is a guy who's on the minds of many in Ann Arbor these days, coach Jim Harbaugh.  He's pictured as Indy's QB on a fun insert from 1997 Pacific Philadelphia called Photoengravings.  The card is rounded along the lines of a playing card, and the consistency along the lines of thin cardboard (maybe?  It's hard to describe, but it's very thin).  This is a very cool design I hadn't ever seen, and now I want to track down the Desmond Howard also available in the set.  (By the way, this is the only non-numbered card today!)

Former RB Leroy Hoard checks into the lineup with one of his final cards as his last NFL season was with Minnesota in 1999.  From 2000 UD Exclusives, this is a Silver parallel numbered 040/100 in the lower-left corner of the front (hard to see in the scan, I realize) and is an absolute gem for a collector like me to be able to dig up, which is why I was flipping through a ton of huge boxes for the better part of an hour and a half that day.

My last football specimen is a very Christmas-ready Red Xtra Points parallel of former #1 WR David Terrell out of 2005 Playoff Prestige.  Numbered 095/125 on the back, the rainbowed photo plus dark red trim make this a beauty of an insert.
Last up is the kind of card I would have sent Robert's way for his SNI hockey edition, but Al "Alvaro" Montoya happens to be a Michigan hockey guy I collect as I fondly remember watching him lead Michigan to multiple NCAA appearances while I was still in school in Ann Arbor.  Anyway, I'm sure he'll be able to find another card #303 (of 999 in this case) like this 2005-06 UD Trilogy issue.  Besides, who's to say I didn't find other numbered hockey cards in those boxes?...

That's all for today, but maybe in a few weeks I'll be inspired to go to the show again and have even better luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment