Tuesday, January 26, 2016

2016 trade package #1: happy blue year from Doug

Before this month Doug of Sports Cards From the Dollar Store had never sent me my first trade package of the year.  Of course, after he closed out 2015 by sending me four envelopes in a row from August to September and six of the final nine I received, I don't think I should be shocked.  I mean, we've been trading since December of 2012 and this is the 35th time I've posted cards from him, meaning he averages about an envelope per month, so he's truly earned the title of my most prolific trade partner.

I showed off some Tigers and Wings from him over on TMV this evening, and now I've got some Wolverines to up the ante (and prove how hard Doug works towards finding things specific to your PCs):
This Purple Prizm parallel from last year's Prizm product is the lone football entrant, and along with the Anibal Sanchez from my TMV post, I think the theme of the envelope may have been "Purple Rain."  I'll happily take anything new of the retiring all-time great, whose collection I plan to scan and post very soon!
The obligatory hockey content starts off with four hockey Mike cards:  Cammalleri, a pair of Comries, and Komisarek.  Those guys bookend newly-minted Penguin Carl Hagelin and a pair of Jack Johnsons--lots of red, white, and blue in those images!  Wrapping things up are blog favorite Brendan Morrison (and another patriotic uniform) and another Michigan hockey Mike--Modano is a native of the state--who shares his card with another blog favorite, goalie Marty Turco.

And now for hitsville, U.S.A.:

Chris Brown 2013-14 Artifacts Jerseys Patch Emerald patch-jersey (#36/75)
The pride of Flower Mound, Texas, Brown has bounced between the Caps and the AHL's Hershey Bears the last few years, but boy was he fun to watch for his three years in Ann Arbor.  Here he is on a jersey/patch combo (which seems like an uncommon duo to me), including a very nice dual-colored patch.  Brown has sneakily found his way to seven hits in my hockey PC.
Jon Merrill 2013-14 Dominion Patches Autographs patch auto (#57/99)
Brown's teammate for two years, Merrill found his way to the Devils in 2013 and hasn't looked back.  This beautiful patch/auto combo gives me four Merrill hits, all featuring signatures, and three including at least one relic--and I think more than one of those others came from Doug as well!  Here's hoping that Jon and fellow Wolverine Mike Cammalleri put up some big numbers in New Jersey this season.
Marty Turco 2010-11 Donruss Boys of Winter Threads Prime patch (#060/100)
And finally, Doug gives me a fantastic way to close things out with this beautiful Donruss hit, my first patch of Michigan goalie legend Marty Turco.  The white/green combo makes me think it's probably from a Stars jersey (his final season in Dallas came the year before), and what a nice patch it is with lots of stitching to make it stand out.  I really enjoy this colorful, horizontal design and I'm happily adding this as my 31st hit of Turco, who continues to lead the hockey collection.

Doug, I'd like to thank you once again for some great cards that hit a bunch of my PCs (not that I'd expect anything less at this point!).  I've got a few things set aside for you and I might just be hitting you back before you know it.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just love throwing out his hometown every time I mention him because the name is great, Texas is no hockeytown, and the student section used to wave the Texas flag and sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" when he scored.

      Delete