Sunday, October 18, 2015

10/2/2015 card show report: feeling Blue

In case you were wondering, I'm still reeling from last night's heart-breaking final-play loss, but I know this team will come out of it stronger and more determined, so I look forward to seeing what the rest of the conference season brings after having made it to this surprising situation in year one of the Harbaugh era!

If you're over here you've probably already seen the main baseball end of my show haul over on TMV.  As promised, here's the Michigan portion, which features three different sports, all of which are going on at this very moment (and all of which are way better than basketball):
This pair hit two of my baseball PCs.  First is a White Framed parallel of Jim Abbott's 2013 Gypsy Queen card, and while I'm not big on that product, the framed cards do look great.  The other is Barry Larkin's entry in the 1993 Score Franchise set, the first one that split off from being a subset of the base cards.
I also landed two surprising additions to my Michigan Football Rookies project.  Des' 1992 All World card was an exclusive that year (boo exclusives!) so the decidedly low-end looking issue is his only "true" RC.  I thought I was going to be paying more for this one, so I was pleasantly surprised.  A decade later we get A-Train's UD Vintage card, so that's another one in the books for him.
Here's a pair of football inserts along with a solo base card.  The shiny Biakabutuka is his 1996 Pinnacle Foil parallel of his RC from that set.  Meanwhile, Press Pass channels Pacific in this crazy die cut Breakout insert from 2001, which still gets a thumbs up from me because, hey, Michigan uni!  Lastly, I dug out a 2000 Score base of QB-turned-TE (how often do you hear that?) Jay Riemersma.
My lone hockey base find was this Classic card of former Michigan D-man Chris Tamer.  I never cared for their lackluster baseball issues, but I do love the CCHA action here against the Lake Superior State Lakers!
And here's the first of three hockey hits.  I believe I paid $2 for each of these as part of a larger purchase, so I didn't have to think too hard before plunking down my cash.  This is a nice dual Rangers jersey of the since-traded-to-Anaheim Hagelin, and it's my fifth hit of the Swedish star.
I didn't mess up when purchasing these A-A-Rons!  No worries there since I took a sec to check my hockey hits to make sure I didn't have them.  This pair hails from 2011-12, with the first coming from Panini Contenders and the latter from "regular" Panini; they give me eight total of Palushaj.  The native of my original hometown of Livonia, Michigan, is currently kicking around in the AHL, but maybe he'll make it back up to the show again!

I've still got lots to scan and post, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of you after that play. Tough one to take. WVU had that happen against Miami in the mid 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, and yeah, I realized we weren't the first team to have that happen to us. Every team experiences flukes like that. Time to take out our frustration on the rest of the schedule and ground them into paste!

      Delete
  2. I found that Palushaj P.S. from the LCS and had it saved for a post Expo mailer. Oh well. Off to COMC with you! And I guess that means I can drop a PWE on you later this week.

    And that loss will be thought of on par with the 2009 Grey Cup for Saskatchewan fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw man, sorry about that. It's somewhat rare that I find a hockey hit at a show, so what were the odds you'd already found one too? Looking forward to more stuff as always, though. And I'm gonna look that game up right now.

      Delete