Saturday, August 15, 2015

2015 COMC purchase: red, white, maize and blue

I'm more than halfway through my COMC purchases from the last couple months, and that's a good thing since I have more cards due to arrive next week!  Here's some nice stuff covering several of my baseball PCs.
Jim Abbott 2013 USA Baseball Champions Diamond Kings (#174/399)
Jim Abbott 2013 USA Baseball Champions Pride
Few things are more American than the American flag, baseball, and Diamond Kings.  Not sure why the flag is backwards on the second card, though.  Anyway, 2013 USA Baseball Champions is a fun set, and you can see why just based on these two cards, which give me a new total of 106 for Jim.
Scott Kamieniecki 1992 Topps Debut '91
Unlike someone such as Abbott, it's unlikely you'll be seeing more than one Kamieniecki at a time since I'm so close to completing his PC!  As I like to do with Topps' Debut sets, let's take a look at Scott's first MLB game:  on June 18, 1991, Kamieniecki was the Yankees' starter against the Jays in Toronto.  He was quality, going 6.0 innings and allowing 2 ER en route to the win (with a hold recorded by fellow Wolverine Steve Howe).  He struck out six against 4 walks and 9 hits.  One more stat to throw at you:  I now own 86 of Steve's 90 cards.
Michael O'Neill 2014 Bowman Chrome Prospects Series 2 Blue Refractor (#154/250) and Bubble Refractor (#06/99)
Hey, a pair of Blue inserts for a guy who played for the Maize and Blue!  O'Neill has a LOT of parallels in this set (along with the Mini versions) so I'll be at this for a while.  For my money, the standard Blue looks way, way better than the weird-ass "Bubble" set, but we all know that Topps knows best.  I have seven cards from the entire rainbow so far as part of my current O'Neill total of 25.
J.J. Putz 2013 Topps Heritage Venezuelan Black Back
Here's a card that was a long time coming to my collection.  I picked up Clayton Richard's version a couple years back when these came out, worried that they'd be rare and pricey for some reason.  J.J.'s card set me back much less since I waited.  It's my 191st of his 327, and better yet, taking into account 1/1s and "others" that aren't part of his mainstream run, I now own 200 of the former Michigan pitcher!
Matt Miller 2010 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Signature Status Black auto (1/1)
Oh yeah, this little gem was in the package as well.  It came up on COMC but under a seller that's not really known for having great prices.  Fortunately, Tim from GSNHoF was generous enough to use his pull to grab it from me and send it to me in a COMC swap.  Thanks, Tim!  This completes a 10-card rainbow from the beautiful 2010 EEE set while also giving me my first 1/1 of the former Wolverines hurler.  He has 10 of those overall, so I'm already at 10% of those!  I should also mention it's my 7th Miller hit, 26th Michigan Baseball-related 1/1, and 38th 1/1 overall.  AND it's a Michigan uniform card.  Definitely a BIG win for my collection and one of the highlights of this package.

Stay tuned for two more COMC posts, both of which will be football-related.

No comments:

Post a Comment