Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014 eBay purchase #1: 21 on 21, or, eBay gives me Wood, son

Well, we're about 3/4 of the way through January and I already have a very strong contender for my purchase of the year.  I won't bore you any further--I could hardly wait to show it off but thought it would be fun to do on the 21st--so here's what's got me all hot and bothered today:
Charles Woodson 2012 Absolute Hall Worthy Materials Autographs jersey auto (#09/10)
Much like 2013--and just about every year before that--I entered 2014 wanting a Charles Woodson autograph.  I came pretty close a couple times to pulling the trigger on a couple prospects in December, but it wasn't meant to be.  Which is great, because this month I had enough room in the budget to throw down the roughly $60 it took to grab what immediately becomes one of the top 10 cards in my collection.  As in my entire collection of everything ever, not just the Michigan PC.  I dunno, something about an auto/relic of one of the greatest college football players ever, who went on to star in the NFL and won a Super Bowl, just excites me that much for some reason.  Let's just quickly review Mr. Woodson's credentials that make him "Hall Worthy," shall we? (stats through 2013):
  • The 1997 Heisman trophy (plus a buttload of other honors), as the only primarily defensive player ever to win it
  • Leader of the 1997 NCAA champion Wolverines
  • Eight-time Pro Bowler
  • Three-time All-Pro First Team
  • 56 career interceptions (11 TDs) and 32 forced fumbles with 13 recoveries (two TDs)
  • 2009 and 2011 season leader in interceptions (9 and 7), 2009 leader in interception return TDs (3)
  • #2 in career interceptions among active players, #1 in career interception return TDs (11) (and #2 overall, one shy of Rod Woodson)
  • 2010 Super Bowl champion with the Green Bay Packers

I mentioned the price was about $60, which was even a bit less than I was willing to pay if necessary.  I mean, did you notice this card is numbered out of 10?  Most of Woodson's autographs are priced north of $100 due to their relative scarcity, although, like this one, there's a small number that creep under $80 or so each month.  I had surprisingly little competition for this card:  just the opening bidder who met the $50 mark, then bowed out after my final bid.  As you can tell, I couldn't be happier.  This is a fantastically designed signature card, with only a minor ding for the obvious sticker.  I like the horizontal layout, the photo, and even the jersey swatch, which is a solid piece of Green Bay green.  And the autograph is the icing on the cake, made better yet by the inclusion of Charles' #21, his jersey number for the duration of his Green Bay career.

This pickup has pretty much inspired me to create at least a Michigan Football PC top 10, if not such a list with an even wider scope.  For now, I have no problem with it as the clear favorite of my eight Woodson hits.  If you see me jumping for joy like this
a bunch in the next few months, now you'll know why.  GO BLUE!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! Now I've got a Bo and a Woodson. Honestly, I think if I could get a certified auto of Brady I could die happy--or at least stop collecting and be happy!

      Delete