Tuesday, May 21, 2013

2013 COMC pickups #6: Too many Putzs part 2

So went I went to scan cards for this post, it had been a while since I'd done a COMC showoff post, and I'd forgotten that the last one I did was actually part one of my fat stack of J.J. Putz pickups.  Oh well, I've got a bunch to get through still, so there's no time like the present!

Today seemed like a Topps kind of day, so here's 20 (mostly) flagship issues of Double-J:
J.J. Putz 2006 Topps Update #320 (with Ichiro)
Well, we're not exactly starting off with a bang, but here's the base version of a card whose Gold parallel I already had.  2006 was J.J.'s first real shot as a full-time closer and it obviously paid off for the Mariners.  His 36 saves that season account for his third-highest season total.

J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Red Back
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Update 1st Edition
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Update Gold (#0307/2007)
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Update Red Back
J.J. Putz 2007 Topps Wal-Mart
Now here's a mix of useless and great.  As I'm sure I've said on this blog before, the Red Back insert is terrible; why the hell do I want an insert where the only difference is different colored lettering on the back, which I'm not even looking at most of the time?  Similarly, the "1st Edition" set is simply stupid, with a lame stamp differentiating it from the other versions.  Topps has continued this practice for years, so it obviously either thinks that collectors like those, or they think we're idiots that buy their crap no matter what.

Fortunately, there's a couple cards here that redeem the bad ones.  One is the Gold parallel, which I'm always happy with.  It's a tried and true, useful parallel--just a little scarcity (even if the numbering goes up by one each year!) combined with nice looks.  the Wal-Mart card is also a breath of fresh air compared to the lame exclusive color parallels Topps crams down our throats these days.  Based on the 1955 Topps design, these look great, so this one is a very welcome addition to my Putz PC.

J.J. Putz 2008 Topps Black #485 (#25/57)
J.J. Putz 2008 Topps Gold Border #485 (#0615/2008)
J.J. Putz 2008 Topps Gold Foil #485
And now we have a trio of 2008 issues.  The Gold Foil is lame as usual, but the one-two punch of the Gold and Black is outstanding.  As usual with Topps, there's way too much border here, but I'm still a fan of the '08 set for some reason, and that year's Black parallels came out especially nicely.  Also, I think the only Putz I still need from '08 flagship is the Black version of the Putz/Borowski/Jenks, which I'm sure I'll track down eventually.

J.J. Putz 2009 Topps Target
J.J. Putz 2010 Topps Update Target
J.J. Putz 2010 Topps Update Wal Mart Black Border
I'm lumping these three together mainly for the Target connection.  While I still generally dislike the idea of retail parallels, I do like the execution of the Target cards from these sets since you get a card back the way it's supposed to look, with that cardboard feel that manufacturers are now allergic to for some reason.  If anything these would make for a cool non-exclusive parallel.  Meanwhile, the Wal-Mart card is completely superfluous thanks to Topps' own Black parallel, but really, what did you expect from Wal-Mart?  Speaking of the Blacks, that's the last of Putz's 2010 Update cards I need!

J.J. Putz 2011 Topps
J.J. Putz 2011 Topps Wal Mart Black Border
J.J. Putz 2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary Factory Set Limited Edition
I still needed J.J.'s base card because I stopped chasing Topps' sets after 2010 Update.  It's a nice enough looking card, I'll give it that.  The Wal-Mart parallel is a lame rehash of the previous year's card.  Meanwhile, the Factory Set card is essentially another cash-grab, but it's one I chose to pursue as a player collector anyway, and it's not as bad as some of those limited cards can get.  So from 2011 I need Putz's Black, Hope Diamond, and Target cards.  If I can also add in his Diamondbacks Topps version, I'll have his entire 12-card 2011 run!

J.J. Putz 2012 Topps Mini Gold (#37/61)
J.J. Putz 2012 Topps Wal Mart Blue Border
J.J. Putz 2012 Topps
The 2012s are fun to collect because of the goofy-but-awesome photo Topps chose.  The Gold Mini is my favorite here, and oddly enough I still need the base card, but I do have three of his four plates!  The Wal-Mart card is lame as usual, but at least it's a different color.  I'm perfectly happy with the base card, though.

J.J. Putz 2013 Topps Toys R Us Purple Border
J.J. Putz 2013 Topps Wal-Mart Blue Border
We close out today's additions with ANOTHER pair of retail exclusives!  Wal-Mart returns with the blue wihile Toys R Us dips its toes into the pool with a purple card that probably only works with the Diamondbacks' colors.  I might be able to nab most of the rest of his 2013s pretty soon.

Today's haul gives J.J. a very milestone-worthy IHAS count of 110!  A related barrier that breaks is the one-third mark, which can be a bit of a moving target for a player that still shows up in sets, but I'm betting I'll be able to stay ahead of the curve now, especially with plenty left to scan.

Stay tuned for lots more COMC stuff as I try to get my ass in gear and actually post it (especially since I received ANOTHER package, a small one, from them yesterday).  Also, I'm due for a large eBay catch-up post as soon as I receive a few other items!

No comments:

Post a Comment