Friday, November 16, 2012

COMC haul #10: What's Red and Blue and Maize All Over?

(Note:  all COMC haul posts can be accessed here)

Just a quick one today as I'm off to see Michigan take on Notre Dame in some hot (or cold, as the case may be) puck action at Yost, tonight at 7:35.  It's been a bit of a shaky start for Michigan Hockey so far this season, but that was to be expected after losing our outstanding walk-on senior goalie, regardless of how much fresh talent came in.

This evening happens to be a special event:  after some excellent off-season renovations, Yost Ice Arena will be rededicated in an intermission ceremony.  Here's a couple quick shots as a reminder of what the old barn looked like earlier this year, outside and in:

It should be a great time, and while I was thinking about bringing that up on the blog, I thought I'd take the opportunity to show off one of my several hockey pickups that were part of the COMC haul:
Red Berenson 2004-05 In the Game Franchises US West auto
This is a beautiful signature (on a somewhat ugly card) of former NHLer and current legendary Michigan coach, Gordon "Red" Berenson.  He definitely doesn't have very much in the way of autographs, so I tend to grab what I can of him, and in this case the price was right at under $4.50.  It's actually my third autograph of him as I own a pair of TK Legacy 'graphs, one that includes star goalie Marty Turco and one of Red solo.  You might also remember that I met Red in-person last year and snagged his signature on a Michigan game-used puck:
Red had a very productive career as a player, but he'll go down among the all-time greats when he retires as Michigan's hockey coach (which will hopefully be never) because of the job he did reinvigorating college hockey's greatest historical program.

So hopefully I'll get to witness yet another win for our esteemed coach.  Go Red, and GO BLUE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment